1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Help on buying a walkbehind!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy858, May 8, 2007.

1. lawnboy858

lawnboy858 LawnSite Senior Member

I am currently trying to find a walkbehind mower with a 36" deck just to do back yards ect. i found a walkbehind on ebay but it didnt sell. the guy had the reserve a 1700.
    it is a Toro ProLine Walk Behind Mower, 36" cutting deck, 15hp kohler, and it has about 50 hours on it. we talked over email and said he would sell it to me for that. would 1700 be a good deal? its 2 years old, and do you think i could buy it for less.
  2. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Listen here lawnboy. Get your head outta your ass (with all due respect) and take your a$$ over to the internet. Type this: www.betteroutdoorproducts.com.

An insider secret; their walkbehinds kick some serious grASS! For a couple hun more, you get a NEW quick 36. I bought ours and never had the pleasure of running one PRIOR to buying it and I was scared. I can tell you this thing ROCKS. It mulches, it stripes, it chews out wet grass.............g o a n d g e t yourself one today!!!!!!!!!!!

You will not be disappointed!
  3. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Why are u still reading these posts!?!?!??! Go to betteroutdoorproducts.com and buy one!
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You can tell the webmasters of that site I wouldn't buy that mower mostly because of the hype.

It's not the only reason, but it sure is one of them.
    It has the briggs engine, they can call it high-tech but no Intek's ever done for me what Kohlers do.
    I slap a briggs on a Wb when I'm hurting for money, they're good engines but they're not Kohlers.
    I don't think Toro would ever make a Wb with a briggs, but if you find one then it's an aftermarket engine.

1700 for a 2 y.o. Toro is a very good deal, 2k is about as high as I'd go thou, depends on hours.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Right here I'm done shopping: Deck Thickness 10 gauge

That's way too thin a steel, you need a 7 gauge deck.
    Reason is, they crack after so many years.

I don't know if you can see it, but the picture below is of my '98 proline and it shows where the deck is cracking, imagine if the steel were thinner... You have to get 10-15 years out of these machines or they're not worth buying new. Sure, I just put in a new tranny and engine in the past year, but for a thousand dollars I'll get her past the 10 year mark and then some, she runs about as good as my '05 does, if a bit clattery.
  6. bahamamills

bahamamills LawnSite Member

I must admit I have been drawn in by the hype and comments on this board to the betteroutdoor product and am interested in the 44" line. I still have not got a good answer on how the single hdyro unit can make this a zero turn with a step saver.
  7. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

prolines now use 7 gauge, and ive seen 7 gauge scags cracked too, roll the dice...nothing beats hydros, quick 36 is garbage.like the prolines but dont like kohler crap.
  8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

there is nothing garbage about a toro pro line. you cant go wrong with one. the only quick 36 i would consider is one with the kawi engine. a briggs will not last long under comm conditions. a koler will
  9. lawnboy858

lawnboy858 LawnSite Senior Member

thanks a lot guys. i think im going to follow through with the toro. it sounds pretty solid and reliable. also its never been used commercially, and has been garage kept.