need help on cemetary bids

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JKOOPERS, Mar 8, 2004.

1. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

ok heres the deal i have 3 of them to bid on. all of them are for the person and there is a 3 year contract . one would take 6 hours . then the second about 5 hours and the third about 8 hours. can probally get them done before all the times i estimated. the total is about $43,000. i will have myself and 2 others doing all the work. With this estimate I would average $87 per hour for all 3 of us. Do think this is a good bid or should i give them a discount for signing a 3 year contract? If so how much do u think ?

2. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

Do you mean $87 per man hour or $87 for all three of you per hour? If all three of you at $87 then that means that you should make $29.00 per man hour.
    Not bad at all really. Since two of the three workers will be only helpers then you should be able to make some good green off of the job.
    I wouldnt discount unless I had to, and if I did then it wouldnt be much at all.
    Let us know how it turns out and good luck.

3. JKOOPERS

thanks for the reply lawn doc . i mean its $87 per hour for all 3 of us

4. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Are you confident of the hours it will take? Most people greatly underestimate the time necessary to knock out a cemetery. I can't tell you if yours is a good bid without knowing the total acres, number of stones, how the stones are arranged, if the stones are above ground or flush to the ground, if the cemetery is active (current interments), what flower arrangements are allowed during the mowing season. There are several more items to consider in addition. Have you any experience with cemeteries?

5. JKOOPERS

yes i used to cut them for the company i worked for the last 9 years. the fired the salesman and me and him are good friends. i can actually get 2 of them done in less time but the other will diffenantly take 8 hrs. by the they are all in rows and there is flat and standing ones . it is a jewsih cemetary and they dont allow flowers or anything else.

6. LawnPerfect

Sounds like a winner to me. As long as your helpers per hour pay isnt outragous then you should make good money.
    Good Luck!

7. JKOOPERS

i was thinking of paying $12 per hour . and i only raised the prices $50 each that the co i used to work for charged. Then i dont have to pay for insurance b/c the guy who got the contract already has it . he just gonna sub it out to me

8. LawnPerfect

Yeah, you are going to make money on this one. I dont know what the labor rates are in your area but Im sure they are alot higher than they are here. Even so, 12 bucks an hour isnt bad. You should make out good on this.

9. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you already know the details from personal experience and are ready to roll!!