Need Help on Covenances

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by onedegree, Oct 18, 2006.

1. onedegree

onedegree LawnSite Member

I am trying to come up with a covenance for a builder in my area for landscaping. The developer told me to word it so that everything goes through me before closing. We want to landscape everything visible from the street (3 sides of home). Houses range from $220-$400K on 1/2 acre lots. We need to set miniums on plant sizes and quality. If you have any ideas or can direct me to covenance examples in nice neighborhoods please do so. Thanks for the input.

2. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

the high end neighborhoods around here require 100sq feet of beds for every 1000sq of house. Then a point system for every sq feet of bed space I think it is somewhere around 20-30 points per 100sq feet. The plants are all given points 4"-1GAL 1/2 point up to 6 or 7 points for 2"-3" trees. Hope this helps, they also have plant lists of what is allowed to be planted.

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like several new subs going in around here. Most allow 3gal minimum container shrubs, foundation beds around the house, one curbside bed, and one curb side tree in the 7'-9' 1-1/2" cal. range. Many of them are specified by the builder, who wants the cheapest way ,of course. Many new homeowners forgo the builder installed plan, and accept an escrow deposit to put toward a properly installed landscape. Before anyone who builds homes reads this and gets their panties in a bunch, let me say this: Landscapers wouldn't try to build a house, so builders shouldn't try to be landscapers. I'm not saying there aren't reputable builders with qualified landscape teams in place, I'm saying around here, that's not the case.

Hey Edmond, is that an American Stafforshire Terrier in your avatar?

4. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

he's a pit bull they look alike though

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Here's a little side note:You may want to include dog pick up signage and dispensers if there is to be a common area in the development that will be used by dog walkers.