Need help on deciding on a ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Figueiredo, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Figueiredo

Figueiredo LawnSite Member

Im not sure what i should buy for a zero tun but im thinking on getting a Ferris 52 beacuse i own 2 walk behinds from them and i really like them there tough, or im thinking of getting a kubota 52 Idk some help on what you think is better or other brands u suggest?

2. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

I have no experience with ferris and a little bit with Kubota. THe kubota could be better I like it but I like my scag better. I own a scag tiger cub 48 inch model they also make a 52 but 48 is perfect for me It cuts great and is very productive. My friend has a 72 inch Kubota with the diesel it is good but They have not been in the ztr market as long as scag or toro/exmark. Another thing to consider is dealer support My dealer for scag is the best one in my area so That is why I bought it. if you need anymore help just ask me.

3. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag here also, I have owned 3 and never had any problems with them. I will be purchasing another in the spring. They are built like tanks, and their resale value is unmatched also. Wahtever you decide on just make sure its what you want. That way you don't have to sell it and buy something else later.

4. rockysmith

rockysmith LawnSite Member

I currently own a Dixie Chopper. Before that I owned a Scag turf tiger. The Scag definetly had the better cutting deck. I bought the Dixie because of pricing. the Scag dealers in our area will not negotiate

5. Figueiredo

Thank you for the help

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have been looking at Hustler, both the mowers and the magazine. Seriously, from my research I think Hustler makes the best and has a great warranty. At least give them a look before you purchase. The Hustler dealer here also carries Toro. When you see the Toro's and the Hustlers in the same showroom, the Hustler makes the Toro's look cheap......and Toro makes a good mower. But it doesn't compare to the Hustlers.

7. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks to me like the Scag offers the best striping system for their ZTRs, if striping's important to you (it is to me). Exmark ZTRs look great to me too.

8. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

I am always happy to read first hand accounts here. The best way to know is to demo,demo, demo. I just bought a deere because the dealer is 1.5 miles from my house and after I demoed it I loved it. kubotas are pretty big physically and are more money many times. I am sure it would be great.

9. daysel

daysel LawnSite Member
    from TEXAS

Don't go by reviews. Go drive one. I drove them all and bought a scag.
    Most of them seemed like pieces of junk to me.
    I was going to buy a Gravely, but the scag drove and cut much better.

10. Figueiredo

thanx for the advise i think that i will have to demo one before i buy