Need help on Dollar Spot

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Quail Creek LC, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

Guys, I have a few yards that are starting to get dollar spot. We have been real wet here all summer. Now the heat is starting to come up along with the humidity. Yes I am a certified commercial applicator and this is my first year. What do most of you do for dollar spot? Any help would be great. Just to let you know, the lawn has not been irragated this year and is just now starting to show stess of low moisture. Sould I have them turn the sprinker system on? Will this promote more of the fungus to grow, or will it help out. I also heard it could be lacking Nitrogen. Should I fert again. Thanks in advance.

2. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

Try to encourage proper watering practices (water deeply and infrequently, only in the morning not the evening.) Fertilize to encourage growth. Minimize turf stress.

3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Dollar spot tells you, as the observer, that the yard is experiencing a N deficiency...

4. Quail Creek LC

from IOWA

I've also read some things that say that it is to high in Nitrogen and some say that I may be lacking Nitrogen. All the research that I have done on this subject has gotten me confused. Thats why I'm asking you experienced guys, cause experience to me is what counts and not what you always read.

5. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

Dollar spot can be worse in lawns low in nitrogen. You want to encourage growth at this point. It can be pretty unsightly but the lawn will recover.

6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Fert with high content N content soluable fertilizer - then apply daconil weatherstik or a daconil equivilant. Snap that dollar spot out of the turf with-in three or four days. Deep, infrequent watering is better than no watering at all - so turn on the irrigation system

7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

SWD, he's a new guy. He doesn't any old jugs of non-restricted Daconil like you and I, LOL.

Quail, I assume this is residential. Over the last several years the number of fungicides you can use on home lawns has been dramatically reduced. Besides, the general recommendation for residential turf with DS is to improve cultural practices (Esp. irrigation timing and fertilization), not to apply fungicides. I have had only one occasion in last 5 years where a fungicide was used, and that was a lawn not on a fert program, hammered by DS (on river, in late July), and had to look good within 3 weeks. Don't panic about a little DS, you can find it in every lawn once you know how to look.

Here's an educator's discussion of turf diseases: http://www.btny.purdue.edu/Pubs/#turf . There is a dollar spot bulletin there, along with most other diseases you will encounter.

8. Good advise groundkprs

I think we in lc get too excited about disease on residential turf! If properly fert, and following the rest of the correct culture pratices, disease shouldn't be a problem! I'm not saying you won't have any, but not severe enough for treatment!

Generally dollars spot is more of a problem on turf seeking nitrogen!

9. Quail Creek LC

from IOWA

Thanks for all the info guys. The lawn is not in to bad of shape, it just makes me a little nervous! I'm new and still learning. I'm doing this all on my own and have nobody to look to for advise. I've been just mowing for the last 10 years and just now started to get into the fert/chem aspect of it. I'll hit it with some N and hit the water hard and see if it comes out of it.

10. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

a much bigger factor in disease activity over fertility is temps. and dampness.

when i was at URI (university of RI) studing turf management (ok, i didnt study much) but anyway we were taught how activity like dollor spot and red thread were due to poor fertility, more specificly lack of N.

20 years ago when i stated working at chemlawn we were applying 5 lbs N per season on a four step program. and seen the typical amount of disease activity. (thats a lot of N...yes?)

we now apply 5 lbs N to many lawns per season and the dollor spot- red thread activity is there.(still getting more N than a lawn generally needs)

ever notice how lawns with .automatic irrigation systems generally have the most disease activity? Most systems are not used properly. Then we have to account for the air temps.

Now I agree with something like dollor spot a supplimental feeding and proper watering will grow it out. I'm just saying the text books teaching of lack of N....i donno, not in my 20+ years of experience