Need help on engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by just_some_dude, Aug 3, 2010.

1. bc3xx0

bc3xx0 LawnSite Senior Member

I think he was talking about the diagram with the overhead cam that was posted up!!

2. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I saw that after my post. I have a habbit of scrolling past anypost that are written by topsites!

3. laman

laman LawnSite Senior Member

I am talking about topsites diagram picture. I don,t see lifter or push rods. This is some kind of overhead setup. Yes what this original poster has posted is a push rod type motor. He didn't post what type of motor it was so I don't know what kind of lifters it has. It is either hydralic or a solid lifter set up. I do know about engine as I used to build race motors.

4. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

That's a good one!!:clapping:

5. just_some_dude

just_some_dude LawnSite Member

I took off the head. Looks like the exhaust valve is stuck, but I don't know why. It doesn't look bent. Any ideas what I should do?

For the curious folk, Kawasaki 17 HP FC540V-FS15.

Thanks.

6. just_some_dude

Here is an image...

IMG_6252.JPG

7. just_some_dude

I took the valve out. Valve looks fine, but the area that the valve is broken.

Will I need a new head?

Thanks

IMG_6261.JPG

IMG_6259.JPG

8. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

Dont know if I have ever seen that one before but yes you will need a new head.

9. bc3xx0

bc3xx0 LawnSite Senior Member

Nah, just use a die grinder to smooth it out, ream the guide and knurl the valve! Then sell it with the description, "fresh valve job".

The valve wasn't bent at all????

10. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Or... ya could heat the head up and drive out the old guide and install a new one. Prolly need a new valve and cut the seat, or you might get by with just lapping......good as new!