Need help on estimate

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ztoro, Apr 11, 2005.

1. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

I have a client that needs about 30 yards of black dye mulch and has about 930 feet of bed edging to be done.

Normally I would charge 65 a yard for the mulch and a dollar per foot of bed edging.

Thats about 2,880 for this job... What kind of discount should I give? or should I not?

My cost for Black dye mulch is like 22 and whatever the rental for the bed edger for the day..... and would need to pick up 2 guys(3 total) i think to help me finish the job

2. ztoro

any help................

3. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I regularly edge all gardens and move 40+ yards of mulch in 1 weekend myself with NO help, and I'm only 14 years old. That sounds pretty expensive. I live in the middle of a very high class suburb of NYC, where the average home cost is $1.2 million, yes, $1.2 million. I would charge around $1,300 for the job you described, but it all depends on where you live. Hope this helps! :D

4. ztoro

If I only had to run the trimmer along the edged this would be ok..... But the lady wants 6-8 inch deep edges. Using a shovel for 930 feet would take a long time....

I could move the mulch easily in a weekend. But I only have a day to move 30 yards and make 6-8 inch deep edges..

Being 14 and having such a huge fleet its to bad you dont have a drivers license to get it places...

5. mkwl

I always edge all of the beds with a shovel, and it doesen't take me too long.

6. mkwl

Being 14 and having such a huge fleet its to bad you dont have a drivers license to get it places...[/QUOTE]

My dad drives me to 5 of my weekly accounts that aren't in my neighborhood. In 1 1/2 years I get my permit, I can't wait! I also have to stay pretty focused on school (Honor Roll or higher).

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

What kind of truck are you looking at?

8. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd prolly do the mulch for about 1900.00 as long as I didn't have an obsticle course to run, or had to haul it 100 yards. I'd rent a bed edger and save a ton of labor. Abot $450 for the edge plus the cost of the rental/drive time etc... Three guys = one long day or a day and a half. Better yet, rent the edger for 2 hours and get the wife/girlfriend to drop it off. I like to call it "free" labor! :D

9. mkwl

If you're talking to me (not sure if you are or not) I am going to get my Grandpa's 1996 Chevrolet 1500 V8 extended cab, sport side, in red, on my 16th Birthday.

10. ztoro

Thanks... I cant cut a break on the mulch but I can do the 450 on the edging....