Need Help on estimate.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by White Gardens, Jun 23, 2008.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

This is what I've come up with, tell me if you guys think it's in the ballpark.

Sod, 980 ft2, 650
    Dirt- 5 yards- 150
    Labor- 520
    drain tile, 40 ft.- 250
    Wall block for tree well, 14 ft circle- 75
    Rental for dingo+ attachments - 550.

Total = 2,195

Oh, I forgot to mention it's an 80 mile round trip, what would you charge for that.

Pretty cut and dry sod job, Simple regrading, possible drain tile, might not need as much dirt.

Part of me feels like it's a little low. This job isn't in a high cost of living area though.

2. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

time and materials will let you bid on anything and definitely include the 80 mile round trip.

3. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I would charge more for hand building a block wall.

Looks like only 2 or three pallets of sod so you should make money on that.

Dirt price looks reasonable.

How long are you keeping the dingo? is that a price for two days?

4. White Gardens

The Block wall will be dry laid around a tree so I don't build any dirt around it and girdle the tree. So in essence, it's an opposite retaining wall. No fill base, as the tree is naturally going to destroy it over the next ten years, and I'm thinking el-cheapo Lowes or home depot block. It only needs to go no more than 8 inches high, and I feel the dirt that will go around it will lock it in place, plus a little block adhesive.

Dirt is only going to cost around 50 bucks,

dingo rental for two days is 320, + 120 for a excavator attachement, which I might not need as I can hand dig the trench. I have to haul it round trip. One day might be enough, but I want to make sure I won't need it for two. Weekly rental is 400, so I'm thinking of renting it for a week, and use part of it for personal use at an in-laws farm where I store stuff. One hand washes the other.

So I might be a little low on the rental.

5. White Gardens

I think I might rent a soil cultivator too for another 120 bucks.

6. White Gardens

bumping it up

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Im just curious how you fellers make out renting all that stuff, I guess Id rather have that 500bucks in my pocket

8. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

I would only go 150-200 more then you but I would save the 550 a do it by hand. 550 will get you a minimum of 2 laborers.

9. White Gardens

Most of the time I will do things by hand, but a machine in this instance is going to be faster, and easier on the body.

Besides, I've got to keep my volume up and get some things done faster, the banker likes to see my business grow every year.

10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Im just saying over time purchase equiptment, in the long run its cheeper than employees. Plus heave equiptment holds its value, not as good as money ihe bank but almost