need help on first mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by laidback2309, Apr 2, 2007.

1. laidback2309

laidback2309 LawnSite Member

Forgot to add in my last thread... again first season starting...what size mower do I need? Should i get a used with a 48 inch deck or can i get away with a "quick 36" that i can buy new? If anybody has used a quick 36 could you advise as to which model and how you liked it? Thanks again.

2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

there are alot of variables. how big are your lawns. do you have alot of fenced in areas? do you have a big enough trailer? how many accounts do you have? and want??

my rule of thumb has been bigger is better. if you have alot of open lawns go big. if you have one lawn that has a gate and many open, go big and dump the one account. for a while i refused to bid on lawns with gates and did just fine, as i grew i felt the need to invest in more specialized equiptment. if you can afford it and have decent sized lawns without a gate go get a 60" ztr. you will be surprised where they fit. tight places and small lawns.

3. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on the accounts you have ??? If your doing alot of small to mid size yards and have gates to contend with ..I can give you all the info you need a reasons to buy a Quick 36 Samurai....but if you have acre plus open lots....well you need a larger WB or a ZTR ...

4. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

By reading these forum threads and listening to folks in the business I was quickly convinced to go as big as possible with a smaller backup machine (maybe a walkbehind). Buy until it hurts. I was convinced to go with at least a 52" deck in order to be more productive and save time. I also bought a second mower (36" walk behind). It is nice and is primarily a backup machine in case one machine breaks down.

All the advice in this thread is true, it depends on your area, average lawn sizes, obstacles, etc. Spec'ing out and buying your equipment is probably the most important step to starting. Do your research and make an informed decision.