Need Help On How To Sell My Business!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassguy01, Aug 18, 2007.

1. grassguy01

grassguy01 LawnSite Member

Hellow everyone...I am wanting to sell my landscaping and snow removal business. I am pretty good on figuring my equipment price, but when it comes to selling my accounts I am not sure what to do. Should I take a % of the total income from all accounts. For example if income is 100 do I sell the accounts for 25, 50 or what?? Never had experience in this part of the industry and need some good advice.
    Thank you.
  2. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

This will be the hardest thing you have ever done in your life. the equipment ,trucks and stuff are easy, but the "business" is tough. talk to a business broker and he'll charge you , but he'll get you a ballpark for what it is worth. getting what it is worth is unfortunately a matter of finding someone who is willing to pay for a business, and it is a small list of folks.

I have sold two lawn care companies in my time, and I got less than I ever thought possible for them. I basically gave them the keys to a cash producing machine, and all they had to do was work. The funny thing is, most folks who buy a business don't want to work.

I know I sound negative, but that is my experience talking. I hope yours sells for alot and it goes smooth. talk to a professional in your area, they will know what to do.
  3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Speak to your accountant they should be able to help you
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Enlist the help from an A & D firm...go with enough company info and they can tell ya within an hour.