Need help on how to start a legal landscaping business!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Victor's Landscaping, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Victor's Landscaping

Victor's Landscaping LawnSite Member

I just moved to Merrillville, so I'm new to the city. I'm trying to start a Landscaping Business. I was previously doing little jobs here & there so I have equipment & also a dumptruck. I want to know if someone can help me on where to go to get a landscaping license? I've been looking around on-line but it has not worked for me. I know I have to get insurance, tax id # for business, How about zoning? can you run your business from a residential home? Do you need a License at all in indiana? If any one has an idea or can direct me somehow, will appreciate it. Thanks,

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Victor- after years in the business and working for someone else, I'm finally going out on my own. I've been deep into business plans (as I'll be requiring some financing), insurance stuff, registering with the state, pesticide license requirements, tax rules, you know....

Anyway, here's some quick advice from what I've done lately (if you want to go legit)-
    1. Contact "SCORE" if you'd like- they are a free small business start-up service- loads of free material and advice
    2. Look up your Secretary of State web site- should have a large section on business forms (like starting an LLC for 40 $)
    3. Call the IRS for your EIN # 1-800-829-4933 it takes about 20 minutes.
    4. Check your state Agriculture Dept. website for applicator license testing/requirements. Again, very easy
    5. I would be very concerned about running out of your home- esp. if it is in a "neighborhood" environment. Could lead to complaints and problems.
    6. Give a call to your County/town/city officials about local licensing. You might not need any I'm thinking....
    7. Talk to your insurance agent about insurance. It's quite easy- they'll probably have no problem writing for you based on a few questions.

Hope a little of that helps.

3. Victor's Landscaping

Victor's Landscaping LawnSite Member

Thanks a lot, you really helped. I applied for the llc and i'm just waiting on the approval. Now I just got to figure out more stuff to do.
    Thanks, Victor