Need Help On Kolher (k301) Head

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by NIXRAY, Feb 21, 2006.

1. NIXRAY

NIXRAY LawnSite Senior Member

I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF CHANGING THE HEAD GASKET ON MY
    CUB CADET 129. THE KOHLER IS OF THE "K-SERIES" (K-301 TO BE EXACT).
    MY QUESTION IS CAN I RE-USE THE GASKET IF IN GOOD CONDITION,
    I'VE TALKED TO MANY AUTHORIZED KOHLER TECHNICIANS AND SOME SAY
    YES AND THE OTHER SAY ABSOLUTELY NOT, SO WHICH DO I DO? . ANOTHER ?
    WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO REMOVE CARBON BUILD-UP (ON THE PISTON FACE AND THE UNDERSIDE OF THE HEAD 'COVER'??).
    ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If it were my own unit and the head gasket looked OK I would put a thin layer of copper coat on it and re-use it. A customers unit of course I would replace it. I clean carbon build-up with a cup wire brush in my air die grinder, A electric drill and cup brush will work just fine.

3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Same as Rob stated....

Just don't mar or deeply scratch into the head while doing it.

The 129 is a good tractor. I have a 149 with a rebuilt K-301 in it and it is a nice little machine, but I won't be hanging on to it for long though, because there are bigger and better fish out there for me to fry that I want to get a hold of......i.e. a JD 332 and/or 430.:weightlifter:

4. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Never re-use a head gasket:nono:

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe you didn't see this....

A customers unit of course I would replace it.

The most that could happen on my own unit is it blows and I spend 15-20 minutes and put a new one on. My 1968 Sears Suburban has been chugging away for 9 yrs. now since I de-carboned it and re-used the same gasket.

6. kapena

kapena LawnSite Member

In case you don't have the service manual:
    Lubricate the cylinder head bolts w/oil and lightly snug them down.
    Start torquing in 10 ft. lb increments.
    The torquing sequence pattern when you look down on the head with the curved edge furthest from you has a bolt also furthest from you. That is # 9 and going clockwise from there:6,2,5,3,7,8,1,4,. #1 should be the bolt slighly inset from the rest.
    K301 bolts get torqued to 25-30 ft. lbs.
    After final torque run engine 15 minutes and then, sequentially retorque the head bolts to 25-30 ft. lbs. again.
    Spark plug gets torqued to 18-22 ft. lb.

7. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

My own experience, I have it apart, change the head gasket. With my luck, if I didn't change it, I would be 30 miles from the shop. That makes it almost two hours downtime. Of course, with my luck, the new one is bad too!