Need Help on Lawn renovation Quote

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by SethTheLawnGuy, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Exactly. that also means reel mowing, verticutting each year,etc. The guy that won't pay for irrigation or sod is probably not going to pay for that either. I agree, RUN.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

A half-acre--so you mean around 22,000 sqft. And he is going to water that with a hose. He probably has one 60 foot 5/8 inch hose. And maybe does not own a sprinkler.
    Clearly he did not water much last year.

3. SethTheLawnGuy

SethTheLawnGuy LawnSite Member

Update:
    I'm slowing getting the owner to move towards an irrigation system. I'm going to get a soil test done of the yard and see what all it needs. So if I don't bring in any soil, should I just cultivate the soil, plant and then see what happens from there? With the irrigation system in of course.

4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I have friends in Garner, NC. Bermuda is the way to go. Fescue goes dormant in the heat.

5. SethTheLawnGuy

I Don't do irrigation, So can anyone ballpark a system for 22,000sqft?

6. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

$750/zone your probably looking at 3-4 zones, just a guess.

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Test soil, cultivate, add whatever is needed to bring soil to proper levels, get irrigation installed, plant. The soil test you run should include base levels and ratios. It is more comprehensive than NPK and pH.

8. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

If there is no grass now figure out why. Too shady, too dry or wet, incorrect maintenance practices & etc. If you repeat the same things done in the past and expect different results you may be setting yourself up for failure. Some mention bermuda which may be the correct choice but it needs several hours of direct sunlight. Others mention irrigation, in my area it is difficult to have what I consider a quality lawn without it. Don't know about your area but do the neighbors that have quality lawns also have irrigation?

9. SethTheLawnGuy

Thanks for all the input, most the lawns around it are Fescue, some with irrigation some without, The neighborhood has a lot of large mature trees so there is a good amount of shade on the lawns. Right now the plan is to test the soil, do what is necessary to achieve proper levels, get irrigation installed, and plant. The lawn was ruined in the past to improper maintenance for the most part, one side of the lawn appears to have had all the topsoil washed out at some point. These are new owners and want it fixed. They also aren't concerned with having a beautiful lush lawn immediately, they said it can be worked on throughout the next year. Just wanted to get something in place before summer.

10. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

This is really the route you should take.