Need help on Lifespan of a Shindaiwa T230 trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Aug 26, 2006.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a Shindaiwa T230 trimmer in 2002. It has about 250 hours on it and runs well. I want to give it to a dear uncle of mine who did a lot for me when I was a kid. The guy is 72 years old and cuts and trims his house, his daughter's house and a building his son-in-law owns. He does all the trimming on these properites, including a ditch on at the building by hand. I found out about this a few weeks ago when he asked me what a cheap trimmer goes for. Living on a fixed pension, he can not spend the $500 Canadian it would take to get a good trimmer. So, I figured I might as well give him my trimmer since I bought a new T230 this spring and the old one is just serving as a back up. The trimmer runs well but my question is how many hours the t230 can expect to run too without major repari expenses. I don't want to give my uncle my old t230 only to have him run into repair problems. Can anyone help me on this one?

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It will probably be okay but at 72 can he get it started? You might look at the low end Echo GT200 with that new starter device, and the unit weighs a little less than the 230.

3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

I cannot speak directly to the longevity of the Shin, but I have 2 cycle equipment that is well over 4 yrs old w/countless hours and still going strong.

Aside from regular maintenance expenses - spark plugs, air filters, fuel filters etc. - major repair expenses on 2 cycle equipment in my experience are virtually nonexistent.

Sounds like your Uncle will be getting a solid piece of equipment.

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

He will be very happy with that for years to come. That will last him the rest of his life.:waving:

5. RHayden

RHayden LawnSite Member

Not trying to hijack the thread-- but does anyone have an online source for ordering parts for the T230?? I have the same year of T230 and I need a new bump head. The local dealer went out of business in '05.

6. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

They are rated at 1500 to 2000 hours with PROPER maintenence. Fuel perservative like Stabil over the winter tune ups, clean out the exhaust screen etc. Simply, For an 72 y/o homeowner, it should still be running strong after he passes. Just get it checked out for him on a regular basis. :rolleyes:

7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Where are you located at in Illinois?

If all you need is a bump head you can get an aftermarket one...Oregon has tons of them to choose from...probably a few that will fit that trimmer...unless you are dead set on a Shin replacement. Even other trimmer manufacturer's heads come with adapters for other models/brands.

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

very well said!!!!!! You can get them any place:waving:

9. RHayden

RHayden LawnSite Member

It would be nice to have an on line source for other Shin replacement parts if/when needed.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have any documentation what-so-ever to back up this statement? All of the ratings I've ever seen put them at under 500 hours, usually in the 250 to 350 hour range.