1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help on mulch pricing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by coachmoneil, Nov 4, 2006.

1. coachmoneil

coachmoneil LawnSite Member

Help, new in the buisness. Customers want me to spread mulch for them. How much should I charge? By the hour, yards of mulch?
  2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I do cost plus $67/yard installed...so my cost is $18/yard so I charge $85/yard installed...if they get less than 3 yards I tack on $35 for delivery because otherwise the job isn't really worth it.
  3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I charge cost of mulch + $10.00 per yard to deliver + $30.00 per yard to install.

you need to do the measuring to make sure you have enough....:waving:
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'll put it this way: If I needed the work, I'd probably do it.

But, if you can spare yourself and be honest, this may not be the best time of year for it...
    Because when the leaves fall on top of it soon need to be cleaned, usually messing up the mulch.

Now if there aren't any trees around or all the leaves are down and out of the way, no problem.

Just my .002, not trying to spoil the party, entirely up to you what you do.
  5. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

I pay 25 for red and 20 for brown,, I charge 60 for brown and 65 for red delivered and installed, I have an easy loader for the back of my truck. I can crank out 80% of the load in 2 minutes.:laugh:
    I had an old gal call last month,, she got the bags of mulch from the gas station, for a buck a bag. {end of season price} I charged her $1.60 to install each bag. they were 1.5 yard bags. and stacked in her driveway.
  6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Most charge by the yard,we charge $75.00 to install 1 yd. of mulch and a25.00 delivery fee.
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds to me as if the customer already has the mulch and you are hired to spread it. I would try and avoid that, if possible. Explain to them you can get the mulch and spread it for them. But that is another conversation.

As for what you should charge, it depends what you need to generate to make a profit. The way I estimate is the following:

1. Calculate square footage of landscape beds.
    2. Calculate material needed by desired thickness of mulch.
    3. I assume it takes one man one hour to spread one yard of mulch. Therefore I charge $40 to distribute one yard of mulch.
    4. I take the materials cost and multiple it by 1.5 to generate a materials cost (We have a minimum of 5 yds otherwise I tack on a delivery charge)
    5. Total and there's the price.

Now, we've been doing this for years so I don't go through all that anymore I have a chart that I look up which has the price of all the mulchs. We're at $55/yd for hardwood mulch...delivered and installed. We charge an additional $0.50 per lineal foot for any edging and an additional $35/yd for any weeding that is required.

For our company it is one of our most profitable services we offer.
  9. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge double the cost, for install and $45.00 per hour transport fee.

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I start at $60 a yard. Thats for double ground hardwood.