1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need help on mulch pricing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by coachmoneil, Nov 4, 2006.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Why is your markup on red different than brown?

I pay 25 for red and 20 for brown,, I charge 60 for brown and 65 for red delivered and installed, I have an easy loader for the back of my truck. I can crank out 80% of the load in 2 minutes

Red 25 cost $65 installed (2.6 x cost)
    Brown 20 cost $60 installed (3 x cost)

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Because his cost is more on the red, hence less markup to make the desired $ over cost. At least that's what I get out of it.

He's still making the same amount over cost on each type(40.00/yd).

3. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i wasnt looking at it right, i even messed myself up in asking the question so please disregard.

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Put the corona down:)

5. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 LawnSite Member

I put 20% mark up on the price of the mulch, plus delivery charge and $30.00 per yard on labor.

6. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

topsites, the guy is Florida south of Orlando in the land of year round bikinis. Stuff stays green there all year long. I don't think he is concerned with leaves.

7. coachmoneil

coachmoneil LawnSite Member

Thanks to everyone who responded

8. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i do double the cost of mulch+ $60 for laber per yard

so say it costs me $20 for the mulch its $100 per yard delivered and installed

9. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I charge $100 per yard installed. I pay about $18/yd. If I deliver it myself I include my drive time in the quote, if I have it delivered I add the delivery charge to the quote. I can usually put down a yard of mulch by myself in 45 min to an hour for normal terrain. I like mulch jobs $$$ :)

10. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

Nurseries in this area charge 30.00 per yard. Delivered and installed and don't think customers don't know it. The only reason some of them ask for a price is because there is usually a waiting list and they are in a hurry to get it done.