1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help on Mulch proposal- Please!!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by E E M, Apr 9, 2008.

1. E E M

E E M LawnSite Member

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for estimating a mulch installation? I can figure the material/delivery cost. It is a 10 yard install and the areas to be topped off are spread completely around the property. There will be no use of machines- Just old fashioned back work. I guess I am just looking for a ballpark of what it takes to install in yard(s) per hour. And what some of you charge for that labor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have done mulch, but only in much smaller amounts- This is a good size job for me and I would love to land the bid. I just want to be sure I am as informed as possible before i submit a number too high or too low. Thanks everyone- This sight has been an incredible help to me so far!:usflag:
  2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I charge a flat $70 per yard for natural mulch, $85 for dyed. I quote an additional charge if there is cleanup or weeds to be sprayed.

On bigger jobs I will give a little bit of a price break, whatever I see fit at the time. I am also running a special in the newspaper with a coupon for installation at $50 per yard, hopeing that I get enough volume from it to make up the difference.

Keep in mind my natural mulch is Double Ground hardwood, and I pay $11 per yard for it. If they specify something specific, the price jumps based on the cost of the specified product.

It takes me abount an hour to unload and spread about two yards by myself , with a wheelbarrow and Shovel. I dump a pile in one spot, and hand spread with a rock rake.
  3. TexasFire221

TexasFire221 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I about about to submit a bid for mulching a commercial property. I have figured that I need about 6 cubic yards of mulch. 6 yards at $65.00 = $390.00. I have no place to buy mulch and have it delivered so I have to buy bags. 3 cubic feet of mulch is $6.99 per bag at 45 bags = $314.55.

$314.55 + $390 = $704.00

Is this a good estimate?
  4. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

NO garden centers or nurseries sell bulk mulch? Wow
    I find that hard to believe

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

there would be 9 bags to a yard and 9x6=54 so thats how many bags you would need. i dont know about your area but in most places you would not get over 700 dollars for 6 yards of mulch.
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Is that the stuff with the gold flakes in it? You can get bags at home depot or lowes here for $1.67.
  7. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

My Lord son you are paying 314.00 for 6 yards of mulch? That is crazy give me your zip code I bet I can find someone that sells bulk mulch in your area for half that price just searching the web.

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i tripple the cost of the mulch, seem to work out well, 10 yads at 27 yer yard....270x3=810 plus more if they want edging ...
  9. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

try to get the mulch delivered, here you can get 10 to 15 yards of mulch delivered for for 25 to 30 bucks and about $25 to $30 a yard, with that said i generally dont mark up my mulch
    per yard :
    30 for mulch
    50 to install
    25 for light edging
    50 for heavy edging
    25 to 50 to weed
    maybe 25 to 50 to remove old excessive mulch
    most jobs i find i get around 100 yard plus mulch