Need help on pricing acres !

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GameDawg33, Aug 3, 2006.

1. GameDawg33

GameDawg33 LawnSite Member

I have to cut, line trim, edge and blow a two and a half acre property on the river. He only wants it done every two weeks. The problem is the back half acre is down by the river it is a little lower in elevation, so it stays damp and the grass back there grows like crazy. It is mainly bahia back there with some St. augustine mixed in with a ton of weeds. My mower bogs down in some places and i have to go slow to cut this high grass properly. I have a 36 inch cut great dane mower with all stihl equipment. Any help with pricing this property will be greatly appreciated.

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I really don't think you can compete with a 36" on 2.5 acres.

3. GameDawg33

This coming Tuesday I'm getting a 50 inch new dixie chopper, which should make it a lot easier,I just really dont know what to charge on this type of property.

4. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

2 1/2 acres w/ that dixie your looking @ 1 1/2 of mowing aprox without seeing property probably 45 min trimming and clean-up. So "I" would bid w/bi weekly that thick grass 100$ a cut if he says to high c-ya thank you for your time.:waving:

5. LawnmanJ

LawnmanJ LawnSite Member

Sounds about like the plan I would go with also.

6. GameDawg33

Thanks for the reply guys.

7. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

$75 weekly or no deal! what if it floods,what if it rain on normal day of mowing,what if you drown your mower in the river cause you got to close cause....,what if ,what if,what if......really sounds like it could be bad. I never been to florida but your probably mowing in the dryest weather right now(could be way off,just my guess) what if all those what if's happen?find that happy medium, cause this property might be the one thats on your mind the most if you dont get alittle more than your happy with, and it might also be the one that burns you out the quickest(if the moneys there it should make it easier)

8. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

and in my area it would be atleast 60-65 is what i would charge(thats if it were slightly lumpy and some conturs)forget the river and bi-weekly the price jumps alot. If it were in my area i would say 75 on the very low end, on up to 100-107.

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

dont do it.... everyones opinion is irrelivent to the situation, ....... you have to learn to price your properties on your own, you will make mistakes and learn.... that is how it is done...

what something cost in one town may not be the same in another, let alone another state....

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

RUN AWAY from people who want bi-weekly cuts. Why?

They don't care about the way their property looks.

They are looking to simply save a buck.

IF(a big if here) they're willing to do it bi-weekly for exactly double what you'd charge for a weekly cut, then mabye.

I don't know about any other LCOs, but I only want to service lawns which the owners want to take pride in, and which I can take pride in by keeping it looking nice.

I've got one bi-weekly residential account, and I'll never accept one again. This customer will go bye-bye as soon as I pick up some more accounts. They don't water their lawn and don't do any weed control. The front half of the property was sodded and the back half seeded. Crabgrass EVERYWHERE. They have several rock beds which are beginning to look like a jungle. No weed control of any kind on their part. Mind you, this is a brand new house and the sod was laid on June 16th this year.