Need help on pricing underbrush clearing (Pictures attached)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Terra-Scapes, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Terra-Scapes

Terra-Scapes LawnSite Member

I had a customer ask me to give him a price on clearing the underbrush located along the tree line. He wants to clean up the overgrowth brush and be able to see into the wooded area.

The area is roughly 300ft long and 10 or so feet deep into the wooded area. It mostly consist of privit (approx. 1-6" thick at base).

Here are a few pictures.

Resize_DSC01087.JPG

Resize_DSC01089.JPG

Resize_DSC01092.JPG

Resize_DSC01093.JPG

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

without knowing what equipment you have available, how disposal will be handled, how many people will be involved, etc., it is hard to say. can you offer more info?

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

2k from what I see in the picture. If he dont want to pay me to do it, find someone else.

4. Terra-Scapes

Terra-Scapes LawnSite Member

I have a skidder steer at my disposal (New Holland with a front straight edge bucket). It will cost me $65 and hour to run it. Two man crew, 3 chain saws, various other tools, one 6x12 maybe 6x16 trailer to haul off debris. I am not crazy about running the tractor through the recently hydro-seeded yard, but the client wants the area by the play set to be graded flat for a picnic area. Also, there are several large stumps (previously up rooted) that he wants hauled off. I figure it would take a serious 10-12 hours on site and more time hauling the load to get the job done.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Rent a chipper and chip all the debris so you only make 1 trip or blow it into the woods if thats possable. Then you have the grading and seeding of a new picnic area to work on. My price with out actually seeing the area would be $4000-$5000
    How much property value will the home oner gain from more usable space plus the addition of a better looking property?

6. Brendan Smith

that quote sounds just a touch higher than what i would bid, but not off base. i was thinking about $3800-$4000. that is high in my market, but it is not work i look for and if i was going to get involved, i'd want to make it worth my while.

7. olderthandirt

from here

Oh it is high but I also supplied the poster with a great way of selling the job,
    notice my last sentence? :)

8. Brendan Smith

yes, i caught that :)

just don't take off your shirt during the estimate mac :laugh:

9. olderthandirt

from here

My shirt? I must have missed something :confused:

10. Brendan Smith

don't you have sleeves on both arms?