need help on property line dispute

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by newmoonfarm, Mar 29, 2005.

1. newmoonfarm

newmoonfarm LawnSite Member

my customer insists that their fence line is 40 feet farther back than the 130' deeded amount. the city has a 40' easment which is where their property begins. i have delt with the city and county gov'ts here and i know how to start at the center of the road yada yada yada.
    their son owns the rent house next to this rent house and he knows where the fence line is and that lot is the same...match his fence.
    now i would like a simple phrase to include at the bottom of my proposal that's not off putting to the owners, but will let me charge them to move the fence when the lots behind them are developed. i want a cya phrase like "fence placed at customer specified corners" or some such.
    any suggestions?
  2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say "I did not know this when I submitted a price .... I will adjust the price correctly & change the billing invoices"

What I have just below the price quote area is

Rate is Good for (30) Thirty Days from date of Proposal and is subject to change outside scope of “Statement of Work” described on Page Two (2). Additions & Changes to Property Landscape Design AFTER Signing MAY AFFECT MONTHLY CHARGE
  3. Teiman

Teiman LawnSite Member

Might be better to spend time figuring out
    how to get your customer to realize where the
    correct location for the fence is.

They almost never will blame themselves, even if you have
    covered your rear end in writing. Human nature.

They most likely will blame you regardless when the city comes
    knocking at the door. Even if they pay you to move it.
  4. newmoonfarm

my wife is from michigan and it took her a while to understand texas "old money". this customer's family founded the town, she has large holdings of property and this is just a postage stamp.
    they will pay me well, i have to do "better home gardens" quality work and they give me nice referrals.
    when this finally comes back up i will simply act like i have never seen this fence before and so will they, my area is the land that time forgot. i just worry that in the future i may be dealing with the heirs who are not so genteel.
    i have a family run business and have another generation coming onboard. my customer base pays us for service as much as the end result. i know this sounds bad, but they are all very kind and easy to work, for but i operate under rules from another era.
  5. Teiman

Teiman LawnSite Member

You know best.

I live in the county seat. Its 99% conservative folks
    around here and can get rather litigious when it comes
    to stuff like property lines. Everyone here is Type "A"
    and nobody steps out of line or you get a summons.

Sounds like you live in a unique area.
  6. newmoonfarm

everybody is related to everybody, cousin x is taking cousin y to court where uncle z will give them what for. i have to really make sure that i do a nice job for everybody, one bad reference will dork things up for quite a while. you get paid so it's all about customer satisfaction.
    for all i know the encroached property owner will give me work. when it rains i'll do some research on who owns the property, it's entirely possible it's the same family. i think the customer and their kids own most of the rental properties in this particular neighborhood.
    my area is really different, until you experience it people think i make this stuff up. however the scrubs stay in scrub parts of town, the nice folk will pay more to have the right kind of people on their property. wouldn't want the neighbors to think they're cheap.
    when i bid the first question i'm asked is "whose your people", just got to go with the flow. i do get to have the long hair and hippie image my sustainable ag farm and humane certified beef have earned me. i guess i'm as eccentric as my customers.