Need help on rate per hr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLS-Tx, Oct 10, 2006.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

If you have a customer that you do lawn mowing for, and you are doing extra work that is not included in your monthly price, what do you charge per man hr for the extra work?

2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

60 dollars for the inital hour and the 40 dollars after that.

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well, our hourly rate is $60 per man hour. But especially on maintenance work, I try to never let the customer know that. Any work outside of our weekly maintenance work is considered a side job. And the mowing crews don't do side jobs - period. For side jobs, our customers contact our maintenance manager and he provides them with a bid for that job - a flat bid, not an hourly rate.

4. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

That's the ticket Jim!
    I read in L&L magazine or was it Turf?? Anyway, one guy was saying how he doesn't quote an hourly rate because he has the equipment to get rid of a big pile of leaves. He said that the customer doesn't need to know that, just quote the job. Saying "I charge 60.00/Hr" sounds more expenxive than "I can clean up and get rid of that BIG PILE of leaves for you , for 60 dollars!"
    Doesn't matter HOW long it takes, the job is done, I don't care if it take you 20 min or an hour.
    Think of it this way, If I said I can mow your 1 acre lawn for 60 an hour, but I pull out a 22" walkbehind, It will probably take 2 hours, but if I pull a 60 ZTR off the trailer and mow it in 15 min. does that mean that the customer only has to pay me 15 bucks?
    Quote the job! Just because you can do it in 1/5 the time they could, is YOUR business!;)

5. PLS-Tx

from Texas

I do bid by the job not by the hr, but I was wanting to see what others are charging.

Hmm, 174 lookers and only 3 replys, THANKS for the help. :sleeping:

6. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

I do my best to get a GOOD fair price, I don't want to rob anyone, but I don't want to be taken advvantage of either.

The way "I" look at it, the MINIMUM I would work for is 45/hr.....MINIMUM, I try to keep it around 55-60/hr. I just don't want the customers to know how that all figures.

7. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

If every lco thought like you you and did what your company did, we wouldn't have every one and his dog trying to pull profits away from lcos.

Good for you... :clapping:

8. PLS-Tx

from Texas

I guess it depends on your area.

I'm charging $60-$70 pmh.

I would still like to know what others are charging.

9. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

I'm at an average of about $55 pmh.

Never will it go lower than $45.

But just like a few others have said, I charge that in my head as I am figuring out how much to tell a customer. I never explain to a customer/potential customer, that "this job will take me approximately 2 hrs and I charge $60 per hour."
    That would definately hurt a lot of business IMO....

Rarely have I had someone who actually asked me WHY is cost what it does. If that happens I lay out a very detailed description of what exactly we are going to do...very detailed...When you make them realize just how much stuff you are actually gonna do, and they realize they dont want to do that they will usually understand.

10. Lawnaholic

Lawnaholic LawnSite Member
    from DFW, TX

Jim, do you mean $60 per man hour as in, if one man is doing the job- $60 per hour, and if two men doing the job- $120 per hour, and so on or do you mean, $60 an hour regardles of how many crew members are working it?