need help on removing a clutch z rider

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by force350z, Aug 9, 2005.

1. force350z

force350z LawnSite Member
    from nj

i need to replace the clutch on my z rider mwer, can anybody tell my how to remove the clutch on a z rider? i got all the bolts out of the clutch but i could not get the clutch. thanks for any help.

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I am assuming you mean a exmark....

first of all, there should only be one bolt. it should be on the bottom of the clutch, and screwed into the crankshaft.

take the drive belt off the clutch, remove the bolt, and the clutch should come off pretty easily. if it doesn't, just jiggle it a little, and it should come. watch out for your fingers though, I've smashed mine a couple times when it fell off as soon as the bolt was removed.

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I have some bad news for you on removing PTO electric clutches. First make 110 % sure it is no good before you start taking it off. Because it is sure to be no good after you get it off a lot of the times. To remove one you unplug the wires. Remove the belts. Remove the bolt in the bottom of the clutch and plug and pray. If it is rusted or frozen to the shaft you may end up destroying it to get it off. There is no way to put a puller on these things with out doing damage to them. I have had to cut one to bits to get it off. It was burned up so it was trash any way. Now if you must remove one for lets say to replace an oil seal then taking it off in a hundred pieces is not what you want to do needless to say. If you use heat you will melt the windings in the clutch and trash it any way. The only thing you can do to remove a stuck PTO clutch in a reuse fashion is to use a lot of WD-40 (or the like) and just keep at it. Any prising on it can do a lot more damage than you think. Just use a LOT of anti-seize when you do put it back on for next time. I wish there was a good way to get one off in one piece with out damage but have not found one yet. Maybe some type of speical puller that could go all the way around the clutch and grab on the very back but most of the time that would not even work seeing as how close that are mounted to the engine. All I can say is good luck if you want to reuse it. Good luck

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

ditto what fixer 67 said.

fixer, if there is enough room, I have use clamps with soft ends on the top of the clutch, and on shaft. you can't go too far before you're squeezing the clutch, but at least you are moving it loose.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

On Scag and Snapper there is a little clearance between the top of the clutch and the hydro pulley. I put a bar in there that has been ground down so I am putting pressure down on the clutch bearing. I leave the bolt that holds the clutch partially in place and gently tap on it while prying down on the bar. So far that has worked, along with a dose of WD type of stuff a couple days prior to removal.