1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need help on selective control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Jul 4, 2008.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I have a customer that has thousands of sq ft of vinca. He also has weeds, grass, poison ivy growing in it. I am having some difficulty finding a post emergent that won't kill the vinca. ANYONE????????:confused:
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

You might look at Lontrel's label and add Fusilade for the grass.

The Poision Ivy may be tough to get!
  3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I tried fusilade in a myrtle bed last season to try and take out the grass only. Total meltdown, it was very hot the day i did the app?
  4. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never used Lontrel, but I thought Lontrel wasn't labeled for use on residential turf RC?
  5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Lontrel is still allowed as a spot treatment in ornamental beds. There are tolerant plants listed, however you are on your own if you apply to non labeled plants and there is damage. Lontrel is highly toxic to asters, legumes, nightshades and polygoniums. Many woody ornamentals and ground covers not related to susceptible species are tolerant. If it works without causing off target damage, great. If not you are liable. Don't know how narrowly your DOA interprets labels. In some states, Lontrel is prohibited in residential areas period.

Fusilade is one that I am very careful of. It is damaging to many common ornamentals and ground covers. Clethodim(Envoy) or sethoxydim(Vantage) are usually much more selective. The surfactant you use with these herbicides is very important as well. A plain non silicone, nonionic surfactant is safest. I use MSO only if previous tests have proven no damage to non target plants.
  6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I think this has been brought up on here before Victor, and if I remember correclty you are correct on application to turf.

But I use it on flower beds for weed control usually as a spot or directed spray to clean us various weeds.
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The poison ivy is a difficult problem. Saw off any vines growing up trees. For the sprouts growing in the Vinca--I tried a pair of big barbecue tongs. With duct tape or rubber bands attach a foam paint brush to each side of the tongs. Now squirt the foam with your weed killer of choice. Grab the poison ivy and pull it up along the vine. Concentrate on the top--the top inch is the main area that is susceptible.

On the other hand, you could just spot spray the poison ivy, although you may kill a few vinca plants, you may be able to find a timing that is deadly to the poison ivy, yet leaves the vinca. Mid-June is a good time to hit poison ivy. If the poison ivy sticks up above the vinca in the fall, winter and spring as usual, be sure to treat the protruding dormant twigs.

In either case--plan on repeated treatments.