1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help on strange edging request

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SidelinePropMgr, May 23, 2005.

1. SidelinePropMgr

SidelinePropMgr LawnSite Member

I have an apartment community that is unhappy with my edging of the sidewalks. I used my echo edger but evidently, they want their edging to be approx. 1 inch away from the

Does anyone have an idea what type of equipment to use for this. My sstandard edger cannot do this size of a gap without a lot of pain and effort.
  2. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

What an ill-informed client ! Those 'trenches' they like are caused by improper edging with Yep! string trimmers.

To give them what they want, get a trencher to build their trench, then maintain it with a string trimmer.
  3. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

I saw an ad for a "string trimmer guide" in the TURF magazine. I haven't used one, but it would probably give you the "gap" between the sidewalk and grass that they want and you could maintain it with the trimmer after you got the "gap" established. I used the trimmer to edge with for a couple of years and then went to a stick edger. Now I am letting all of the yards with gapped edges grow in. I will never go back to the trimmer for edging. But, I understand you are trying to please the customer. Good luck!
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah you can do it with a string trimmer, but only if you work at it. you would have to saw away at it for a while to get a few feet of it at an inch then move forward a few feet and start sawing at it again. string trimmers CAN cause this over time (years) if the operator dosn't know what he's doing...

My grandparents always kept their sidewalks edged like this but they used an electric edger set at like 30 or 45 degrees to actually cut a small tranch along the concrete. Their theory was that it gave a place for the water to flow as it came off the roof and ran onto the sidewalk. I look at it as a real cool place for a gillion weeds to grow and the hornets to dig their little holes.
  5. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

Continue using your Echo edger. I just recently bought some edger blades that are double the width of my old ones. If you angle your cut a little more you should be able to get a lot closer to what you are looking for.
  6. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Try using 2 edger blades on your edger. It gives a bigger gap and should speed up the process a little. I hate those kind of ridiculous request.
  7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

First I would explain that you're doing it properly and that they are asking for it to be edged improperly. If they insist, I would base it on the customer. If it is a good paying customer, price right, always on time, buys extras, RARELY complains or contacts you for anything, then I would think about a way to compromise and still look good. If they are a PITA or slow payer or already priced at a bargain, too darn bad, the complaint department is "closed".
  8. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Jason Rose, ironically just today I was explaining to an elderly lady that I was letting the gap fill in so I could get a good clean cut on the drive. She said that they had done it like that (with the wide gap) so the water could run off. I suggested that the water would run down the driveway, but if it didn't I would cut it back out. I guess the oldsters came up with no concrete driveways and still feel like they have to dig a trench somewhere. This same dear little lady tries to put her frogs up in the back yard before I start mowing and trimming.
  9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Years ago when I used to deliver furniture I would run across lawns that had a wide edge like that on their walkways. There was more then one occasion where I almost twisted my friggin' ankle while carrying furniture and got too close to the edge!

I hated that, and I never understood why they had it that way, or how they got it that way.

Only thing I can suggest to the original poster is ask them WHY they want it that way. Then politely try to convince them that they're wrong. :)

But seriously, if they insist, then perhaps try to dissuade them with a high price.
    I think there is an edger/trencher that has the ability to cut a 1" wide trench. I could be wrong, I'll look around and see if I can find it, and post back.
  10. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

1 inch is pretty thick.. Initially I double up the blades on the stick edger(half inch at most).... then about once a month I run the Stick edger to clean it up .. the rest of the month i use the string trimmer cleans them up perfectly.....