1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help on Toro Proline blade set-up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DannyO, Jun 5, 2001.

1. DannyO

DannyO LawnSite Member

Hi folks- I had this posted over on the homeowners help board but thought I should post it here too, for all the Toro/Exmark experts out there.

Thanks to all who commented on my earlier post regarding T-bars vs pistol grips. Finally went with the Toro fixed deck and added a mulching kit, which needed to be ordered. Here's my question...

Spent a few hours trying to find the right combination on the height set-up. If anyone is familiar with the fixeddeck system I could sure use some pointers. The dealer was real helpful, up to a point. I had the mower set at 3".

According to the chart in the manual the deck was set as follows:

axle- D position ( second from the bottom)
    spacers below the caster- all 4 of the 1/2 inchers, 0 of the 3/16
    1/4" spacers below the spindle- all 4

Anyway, I thought this " 3 inch " setting was too short so I moved all the spindle spacers "above the spindle" which should give me a 4" cut. This looked pretty good, but 3 and a half should be just right.

With the different axle-caster-spindle adjustments, what should I be trying to do in order to get the best cut and best possible striping effect? Do I want the rear a little higher than the front? Keep the blades as high in the deck
    as possible and adjust height with the casters and axle so that you get the best possible vacuum effect as you cut?

Thanks in advance!
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Proline Floater so I cant help you with the adjustments but I will tell you to go with double blades. Get the atomic blades and the high lifts and go to the hardware store and get 3 washers that fit your spindle. Thats all it takes. Get a Proslide for striping.
    Good luck.