Need Help on Tree cut-up/removal estimate

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Dec 27, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Trying to get a better idea for an estimate I should give on this tree cut up/removal job. A customers neighbor has a tree that practically split in 2 from a very windy night a few days ago. It was approximatley 40 foot long and probably over 1,000 lbs of wood. The base of the piece had a circumfrance of 3ft or more. Most the pieces were firewood size or about 1-2 ft around. Took me about an hour and 1/2 to cut up. Now I must remove it all. It broke a window which will cost her $280. Her homeowners will pay anything over $500. I know I'm going to charge over $220. I'm not going to give any deals since it won't benifit the customer much but I don't want to charge too much either. Total time to cut up and remove the wood is expected to be about 6-7 hours. I'm thinking of pricing it at $300-350. What would u guys charge?

2. green-pa

One more thing. I woulda took some pics so ya'll could see and get a better idea but my darn camera's batteries were dead.

3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

more than that!!!!!

4. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I charged a customer $350 to haul away a 20ft bradford pear that was already cut up and placed at the curb. I would charge at least $500 for your job. One question though; how can you complete a job without having a set price?

5. green-pa

How much more??? :confused: Doing her gutters and cutting and trimming I would charge her about $25/cut which would equal about $45-50/hr but I had to rent the saw for this job and that was $40 for the 20 inch. It was really nice but then the chain was too dull at the end, but I'm glad it made it through. It started out like a dream.

So should I go $450, 5????

6. green-pa

Well, she's a really good lady and always pays me whatever I tell her it will be. Many times she's let me do jobs and then tell her afterwards. On gutter cleaning I was telling people about $50 for an avg home. Her home however had a very large roof and much gutters and they were mostly filled with these large gumball seedlings, leaves, and hadn't been cleaned in a few years. So I charged her about $90 which I thought was a good deal. I'm not too concerned about giving her a good deal this time though since anything over $220, her insurance will pay anyway. I just don't want to make her rates go up too much just by being greedy. If I can make $50-60/hr, that's darn good for my expences since they are pretty low on this job.

7. green-pa

I hear "at least $500", any one else? Going once going twice.....

8. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

ya at least 500 or 600

9. green-pa

Ok, well. I'm going for say $450-500 at this point. I say $450 only cause it's $100 more than I'd planned. But if any of u's guys have any other opinions on my estimates let me know. Another reason I think 500-600 may be too high cause her neighber wanted all the big heavy pieces so I merely had to toss them over the fence. All that remains is the small branches and twigs which leaves me with about 3 more hours of clean up and transportation.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

To much money and it took you a lot of time.....don't understand... Should have been able to cut it up in less than an hour .... Trailer rent is $30 per day and it definitely not been more than one load. And if you were smart you could stack all firewood size at street and it would have been gone the next day and all you would have left is the big pieces.