Need Help ona Bid?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albery's Lawn & Tractor, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Not really, I already gave the customer my bid but I am curious as to what others might have charged. All of the beds need to be edged. All of the beds need to have the weeds pulled (thats right pulled, not sprayed), monkey grass will be transplanted frome the front and side beds and used as a border for all the islands. The two flowerbeds by the driveway will have mulch and the rest will have pinestraw. Several flowers and plants will be transplanted through out. Crepe myrtle infront of house needs to be prunned, any low tree limbs need to be trimmed as well Flowerbed with light pole will be taken out and sod put down, sod will also go by the flowerbed to the right of the driveway between the bed and the drive. The large bed all the azelas must be trimmed back and remove honey suckle and weeds. All beds surrounding the house need to be cleaned out. In the back beside the shed 16" pavers will be used for a walkway on both sides, as well as a walkway in front bed to right of drive.
    Materials List
    2 pallets sod
    12 yards of mulch
    50 bails of pinestraw
    80 16" pavers
    2 yards of topsoil
    2 yards of sand
    bed edger rental

Pick-up & Delivery of ALL materials
    Debris removal

How Much?

hc2.jpg

hc3.jpg

hc4.jpg

hc5.jpg

hc6.jpg

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Trim the willow & a Jap Maple too

hc7.jpg

hc8.jpg

hc9.jpg

hc10.jpg

hc11.jpg

3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Last of the Pics......

hc16.jpg

hc17.jpg

hc18.jpg

5. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I took off, my head is clear, I don't have to ask for help bidding.
    lol, someone will chime in there, help you out...to see how much you [probably] underbid.

You did more work taking the pictures and posting them than I would just looking at it and submitting my bid.

Are you doing this for beer money?

lol,
    kenny.

6. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

minimum 1 large. probably closer to 1250.

scratch that just looked back at your materials list, what kind of sod?
    maybe 1600.
    Hell I shouldn't be commenting I always seem to shoot myself in the foot on the big ones.

7. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Captken: dang your still on the labor day thing, that day has past move on. No beer money, but the customer did give me a gatorade.LOL

No seariously, I just picked up the mowing account last week. She told me what all she wanted done I gave her the bid this week. Judging by her reaction I think I am one of the higher bids ($5,500), but since I took over her yard, she said the actual mowing never looked better, didn't scalp or blow clippings in the flowerbeds. We talked for awhile and it she said she was impressed with how I run things (I told her I prefer to do this job in late fall so I could be 100% dedicated and not have to leave for a few days to mow). It's the nicest property in the community and money isn't her big thing its the person so hopefully I get it.

8. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Nobody has any idea what this job would go for in there own area? If it helps MY cost on materials is about $1,600 alone. It might not show in the pic but there is alot of time consuming work pulling weeds as there are a ton of "special" flowers she wants to save. With just 2 of us working I estimate atleast 5-7 days.

The sod is Centipede and goes for $85 per pallet.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well omg it's kinda easy other than you're already out 2 hours...
    This could've been handled for well under a grand, probably a few hundred but the bs has to go.

It's just too much, what's going on here, is the customer a nutcase or are you inexperienced?
    Maybe you are an experienced landscaper, but it just doesn't make sense, this is like repainting an almost brand-new car...
    If it absolutely has to be done the way it was described, here's the run down:

Cost of (materials + labor) x factor 3

Factors:
    1 for wasting my time
    1 for asking me to pull weeds by hand, yes ok, insisting.
    1 for being nuts, as in, a ton of work to be done on a beautifully manicured yard.
    4 thousand while I'm still in a good mood, but I am thinking 5-6.
    I'll need at least half upfront, make that 3 to be sure.

> WHY move perfectly healthy plants? Prune ok, but not move!
    I'm sorry but this isn't interior decorating, then again maybe you're a horticulturist?
    If so, my apologies.

Should make it factor 4 for asking for materials that are not needed, sod is dang expensive, it would be cheaper to either spot seed or patch it up with lawn repair kits. And mulch... Why mulch now, the leaves are coming in another month, once the leaves fall it's such a waste to try and keep that mulch there, you can do it but... I would wait until early spring with the mulch.
    Sand is for sandboxes and beaches, no sand in no yard, please.

The stones, well ok, a new walkway, that should be alright.

But now it's already like that...
    How did it work out?

Later Edit: Wow, I just read your cost...
    Just when I was thinking I was way high, see maybe I am not that crazy after all.

10. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Under a grand!!??!! I guess you don't like making money. You ARE the "crazy one".

The way the customer wants it is the way they get it. If they are willing to pay for it. That's a lot of work and I think what he quoted was good. I wouldn't want to do all that work and NOT make some good money.