1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Help Operating Exmark WB

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lil_cote_93, Mar 26, 2008.

1. lil_cote_93

lil_cote_93 LawnSite Member
    from ON

K, today i did my lawn for the first time with my brand new exmark metro 32
    When cutting front lawn (small, residential) I did one big strip around, then i was doing 180 degree turns, the wheel that i would lock while turning would tear a huge piece of grass almost every time.
    is there anything else i can do?

I know im a n00b. but oh

thanks guys
  2. sandman23

sandman23 LawnSite Member
    from GA

You need to do a "K" turn or three point turn. Pivoting on the inside tire will always tear the turf. Try to keep both wheels moving. Do a search and you will find many examples on how to turn. It won't take long before you catch on.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

The easiest way to do it is when you are going to turn pull the lever of the brake you would use half way up in neutral and then pull back while letting the other wheel to continue to rotate. It is very easy.
  4. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

same goes for Zturns once u get one you'll get used to doing a "k" turn. i cut a cemetery and there are loads of turns i could do that cemetery if i was asleep:sleeping: u might want to practice on a patch of pavement if u leave a skid mark than u'll tear up grass especially if it's the first time and the grass is not thick....
  5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

That's kind of tough to do with a belt drive.
  6. lil_cote_93

lil_cote_93 LawnSite Member
    from ON

sorry, im not familiar with the term "K turn" what is it exactly?
    also, any one have a link to a thread where this was talked about. very sorry guys, im a noob
  7. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Just what I was thinking. Just cut a few strips at either end and make a bit of a wider turn, keeping the inside tire spinning. It may take longer, but you won't have ripped up patches.
  8. kevinlane

kevinlane LawnSite Senior Member

I have the ex metro 32. I've used it almost a year now. The easiest way to do your turns is just take it slow. If you're whippin around in 3rd or 4th gear you'll always tear grass. Just have to adjust your speed with your turning levers. So far I've had no problems with the metro. Hasn't lat me down yet. Keep in mind the advice is what works for me, everyone is different, you may find a better way, or another method that works better. Just keep cutting and you will get comfortable with turns in no time. Good luck.
  9. sandman23

sandman23 LawnSite Member
    from GA

10. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I have the same mower and at this point am pretty used to it, but it definitely still happens on wet or thin lawns. I can't wait to get a hydro, I'm tired of the belt drive.