Need Help Picking a 34"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mantrep, Jul 7, 2008.

1. mantrep

mantrep LawnSite Member

Currently running about 110 accounts. I have a 52" Grasshopper, (my 3rd machine) about 40 of my accounts have backyards which I service with my faithful 32" toro.

The toro is getting old and a bit worn out. Shes begging to retire. I figure its time to upgrade but I cant go beyond something 34" wide.

My choices are
    Exmark
    Dixie Chopper
    Gravely
    Toro
    Encore
    Im looking for a zero turn or a stand on. (I think Gravely is the only one offering a stand on right now)
    Have to choose from only these due to dealer selection. Im starting to look this weekend and want input from anyone which uses

Thanks!

2. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

eXmark's Phazer, Dixie Chopper's Silver Eagle, Gravely's 34z, and Toro's 34" are all good.

3. ffemtmcd

ffemtmcd LawnSite Senior Member

DIXIE - just compare the construction and ease of maintenance

4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Too bad you don't have a Dixon dealer near you ... they have a 34" ZTR, the Black Bear !!

5. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

We have a Gravely 34z and love it. Mine is an 06 with the 15hp Kawi and has plenty of power I can't imagine the 17hp Kawi they offer now. Also I was rutting some lawns with the 21x7 tires but I weight 280. But I put on 20X10 4 ply which is a 1/4 in shorter. Rutting all gone but needed to trim gas tank brackets a little when we took psi down to 10. Good luck.

6. freshprince94

I don't think that mower works well in the south.

7. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Dude, have you ever even LOOKED at any of these mowers up close, let alone ran any of them?

8. mantrep

mantrep LawnSite Member

WOW! Im new to this site and cant believe how quick the responses came in.

Im going test driving on those brands this weekend. Probably buy in the next few weeks. Besides the guy using the Gravely 34Z, anyone using an Exmark Phazer or the Dixie Chopper 34? I heard a few bad things about the quality of the Chopper cut. My main problem is mulching. In FL my machines have to mulch and Im not sure if the Chopper has a mulch kit.

Hmmm...If I got a Chopper then my mowers would be a Hopper and a Chopper!

9. mowingmark

mowingmark LawnSite Member

I have a new Gravely 34z and it is sweet! It has tons of power with the 17 hp Kaw. I would suggest it as I tested all the other mowers. The only thing I can't attest for is longevity.

10. freshprince94

I haven't ran these exact mowers, but I have run other mowers from these brands. I have heard good reviews, and I have LCO friends who have good things to say about these mowers. Sorry. I should have stated that "I have heard good things" or "I have heard bad things".

And I have looked at these mowers. I'm actually thinking about demoing the Phazer. I'll post how that turns out.