Need help picking mower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by pwoller, Aug 26, 2014.

1. pwoller

pwoller LawnSite Member

Ok guys I need help deciding what type of mower to get for my lot. It's 1.5 acres of flat grass with a fair amount of trees. I currently have a 36 inch scag hydro walk behind and I like the mower but its just taking me to long to mow the open areas of this yard. Should I just get a bigger walk behind or should I get a stander or ztr? What are the benefits to the stander over the ztr and walkbehind?

2. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I have ran every type of mower out there over the years. You didn't give us enough information. I don't know your budget you are willing to spend or whether or not you will be mowing any other lawns with it. If I didn't have any hills, there is no way I would buy a Stander or a Walk-behind. I use a Stander every day but I am in upper East Tennessee and not much flat here. If I had allot of trees to mow around and I was only mowing one lawn. I would use a Scag STHM or the like of another brand. It would allow you to sit low. It is also a front deck mower which would allow you to get way under trees and really cut down on weed eating. Hope this helps.

3. Dirtscooter5

Dirtscooter5 LawnSite Member

just get something wider. really whatever you prefer. If you have no hills I wouldn't buy a walk behind. buy a ztr or a stander both are sweet I run a 54 inch deere ztr for 8 years as my only mower in my small mowing business. I just demoed a deere 61 inch stander and loved it looking to purchase one. I personally cannot imagine taking a 36 inch mower on anything over a small back yard but maybe im wrong.

4. xstatikplus

xstatikplus LawnSite Senior Member

Manual reel mower :D cut it one time with one of those and you'll fall back in love with your current mower!

Ztr or stander only to cut your own 1.5 acre lawn is overkill in my opinion. I'd be happy with a 48" walk behind with sulky if it's all flat
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're happy with your Scag, you could do a Freedom Z in 61". That's more than enough machine, for a homeowner, and your property size. They've got 0% financing going on.

6. pwoller

pwoller LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help so far, here is more information about my situation. I have mature trees so low branches aren't an issue. I do mow for neighbors occasionally but this would be a mower used weekly on my lawn. Budget around 3k, I usually buy used. I'm leaning towards a 48-60 inch exmark walkbehind but thought I'd check with the pros.

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

3 grand budget?

Stick with what you have, and don't be so impatient.

8. mwalz

mwalz LawnSite Bronze Member

3k can get you a decent used one. At that rice Home depot and lowes has ztr's for that price. At that price from what I can tell bad boys are pretty beefy for the price. It would be hard to go from a commercial wb to a homeowner ztr. I would rather have the 36 than a 50" ztr made the way the timecutters and low end cubs are. If you go up to 4k your choices open up a little more. But those strs are fine for a homeowner with a property like what you got. Everyone else is pretty much going to tell you those mowers are crap don't buy them. True if you run a lawn service, but for you, take a a look at them, but to me, the decks are not heavy enough even for a homeowner.

9. pwoller

pwoller LawnSite Member

What does patience have to do with anything? Because I dont want to spend 2 hours cutting my yard when I know I can do it in an hour with a bigger mower? Thats called having priorities not being impatient.

10. Dirtscooter5

Dirtscooter5 LawnSite Member

ya hell 3 grand will buy a good used mower. I bought a 54 inch john deere ztr used 8 years ago with 900 hours for 3800. it has been a great mower and just rolled it over to 2k hours with no problems. I think you will find a good used mower, the only thing I will say be patient on is picking the right mower. time is money and money is everything right?