1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help picking new chain saw...

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by HighGrass, Jul 19, 2005.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I am starting to shop for a NEW lightweight chainsaw. I plan on doing some clean up work with it as well as some tree cutting on my own property. I don't plan on cutting anything more than 18" in diameter with most of the stuff being in the 12" diameter range.

Any thoughts as to what make and model I should lean torward would be appreciated. I am more concerned with quality than cost.

2. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

stihl has some nice saws. i just bought a stihl farm boss with a 20inch bar. its a bit big for what you asking for but they have some grat saws in that range your looking for. best advice is to just go look at em.

husavarna has some good saws as well.
  3. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl.The best in Chain Saws. The first.
  4. Landscape89

Landscape89 LawnSite Member

I like my Husqvarna 141 16" Saw
  5. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

My stihl MS310 saw is junk from day one. I have a Jonsered that is sweet for small stuff. Its a 2054 turbo and its been with me for about 10 years. Replaced magneto, pull cord and fuel line. Runs as good as the day I bought it. (light use)

I personally like Husqvarna saws the best. I have a 272XP (same as 372 just a little older)
  6. bondman35a

bondman35a LawnSite Member

jonsered/husky... You can go wrong. I have a 55 rancher and my brother has 2152 which is comparable to the 351 husky I would say go for either or. Just dont buy your Husky at Lowes. Just dont get a stihl.

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

8. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

i have a husky 372xp and a 385xp
  9. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

If you want a big bang for the weight, I would suggest the Dolmar PS 7900. You will have a very hard time beating the power to weight ratio that is has in the 80 cc class. I have a modified PS7900 and a 49cc Shindiawa. Both are great saws but the Dolmar feels like it weighs the same as the 10# Shin. And feels a lot better. If you have a dealer near you that sells Dolmar you need to check them out because the 7900 will out perform the others in its class hands down. But most of the name brand saws are very good. Just decide what size saw you are looking for and go to an arborist forum where you can get all your questions answered from knowledgeable people.
  10. AdamCByrd

AdamCByrd LawnSite Member

I am in your exact same situation. I do some light clean-up work for my customers every now and then, but also have a farm to take care of. I have a Stihl Farm Boss with an 18" bar and it's not too big, not too small. I think we paid about $350 for it.