1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help picking out new truck!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by riley1374, May 5, 2005.

1. riley1374

riley1374 LawnSite Member

I currently drive an S-10 blazer and it is just not cutting it. I pull a 6 X 12 enclosed trailer, and was thinking about either upgrading to a F250 powerstroke or chevy 2500 duramax. I have about 25-28grand to spend on a truck and will have it for quite some time so i want to make sure i get the right one. Based on how much I have to spend, I will obviously have to buy used, but what years do you suggest were good ones and what should i look out for. Thanks
  2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

2001-2003 F-250 7.3L Power Stroke. They are the best PSD's ever made. I prefer the 6 spd. manual, but as long as you don't bomb out the truck with mods the auto should be fine.
  3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

You should be able to get a moderately equipped, new, '05 F250 6.0 Crew Cab for close to that price. There are some great finance incentives also.

The '05 F250 6.0 4WD is really a fun ride.

Shop around for a motivated dealer because production of the '06 trucks should start this week or next week.
  4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Why do you need a diesel for a 6x12 trailer?
  5. Oldtimer

He is going to grow his business and a good tow vehicle is a very necessary. The funds available will be well invested in a new vehicle with a full warranty and the .05 6.0 F250 SD is a hoot to drive. I love mine.

Join www.fordtruckenthusiasts.com for some really good Ford info.

Visit http://www.vanbortelford.com/flta.html for an idea of what a new Ford will sell for.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Why diesel
  7. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO you would be probably be quite happy with a Ford F-250, wether you get diesal or not.
  8. Oldtimer

After living with an S10 Blazer he will be the happiest man in town when he gets behind the wheel of his very own F250/350 Super Duty. The truck can tow anything that he can hook up to and then plow snow in the winter for more bucks.

Don't ever buy a toy truck instead of a work truck.

9. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

Once you drive a diesel you wont go back to gas. Even myself being a hardcore Cummins fan, I would have to go with the new Ford 6.0. The fact being that Dodge needs to quit messing with their awesome motor and start messing with their front ends ball joints and steering for the 4x4s and a good auto tranny. Not to mention those 6.0s sounds AWESOME straight piped. And whatever you do if you get a Ford get an auto.
  10. riley1374

riley1374 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies guys. To those that question why I am buying a diesel, I know it is overkill right now with only a 6 X 12, but I feel I will have this truck for awhile and I would rather do it right the first time rather then having to keep ugrading with the business. I have made my mistakes in the past not doing things right the first time. So you guys really think I could get into a 6.0 for that price? I was just going thru the ebay ads and noticed how much these trucks were going for used and figured the new ones were way out of my price league. Keep the replies coming! Thanks