Need help picking out plants for a front planter

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rhatala, Aug 12, 2006.

1. rhatala

rhatala LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I need help with a customers front planter, She asked me to plant some flowers, shrubs etc... and I am not that great knowing the different types of flowers, plants and shrubs. Of coarse she gave me some restrictions, they can't grow to more then a foot tall and must be easy to take care of. She would like them to be perennials but not necessary, and of coarse they need to look nice while in bloom. Thanks in advance for any help you guys and girls can give me with choosing the nicest plants.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

What planting Zone are you located in?

3. rhatala

rhatala LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I am in Southern NJ on the edge of 6b and 7a according to UNSA (United states National Arboretum.

4. sheshovel

Full sun? Part shade? What?

5. rhatala

rhatala LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Sorry, In the morning some shade and sun mix and by noon full sun.

6. sheshovel

Ok lemmie look some up for your zone and I will get back to you after I eat my lunch.

7. sheshovel

Ok your height requirement limits you but you could go with any of these or a combo of them.
    Phlox subulata-Phlox paniculata
    Rudbeckia hirta (Gloriosa daisy)
    Stokesia laevis (Stokes aster)
    Columbine
    Galliardia x grandifloria
    Dianthus
    Coreopsis
    Gazania
    Osteospermum (African daisy)
    Ground cover roses
    Hebe
    Creeping rosemary

Your best bet is to go into the nursery and look and see what is blooming and ask them. They know the local conditions and sell what grows well in your area. Ask them what low growing shrubs they have there and see if they will look good. I suggest you invest in a Sunset Eastern Garden Book it will help you pick out plants for many years to come.

8. rhatala

rhatala LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Thank you sheshovel for the help I will go to the book store and see if i can get that book. You helped me a lot thanks

9. sheshovel

Your welcome sweetie.