Need help picking ZTR mower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by erheyd, Mar 1, 2006.

1. erheyd

erheyd LawnSite Member

I have about 6 acres I would like to mow on a regular basis. I have decided on buying a ZTR mower, but which brand? My budget is between $6,000 to 7,000, so I have narrowed it down to 3 ZTR mowers. On paper they all seem similar, but would like practical advice on which to buy. They are the Exmark Lazer Z HP with 50" deck-23 kaw, the Scagg Tiger cub 48" with 19 kaw, and the John Deere 717a 48" 19KAw. The exmark is the high end at $7,000 and the John Deere is at the low end at $6,200. So, please help and give me some ideas.
  2. southernlandscapespecial

southernlandscapespecial LawnSite Member

Did you get a price on the JD 727 54". I paid around 6500 for mine in New Iberia. I had the 717 and traded up to the 727.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

4. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

Love my Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle! I'm just a homeowner, and she does me very well! Of course, you may want more than 44", but I think go up to 60".

Good luck..nothing like a nice zero turn to make quick work out of acreage.
  5. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il

1) I like Deere. Lots of dealers around, and most are high quality.

2) that a crummy price on a 717. I paid $6500 out the door for a 757 dealer demo w/14 hours and a new mulch kit.

3) I don't like the 717, and don't think it's enough machine for 6 acres. i've lost some of the detail to immediate recall, but if you'll search my past posts you'll find a post on the 757 and what the issues were w/the deere ztr line.

4) Unless it's tightly wooded or very rough, I think you'll regret not having a 60" deck and less then 54" might be a mistake.