$$$$$Need help,please.......$$$$$$$$

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by opher, May 30, 2006.

1. opher

opher LawnSite Member

Here's my problem, we literally just started in the lawn care business last week, we just got our 1st mulch job to quote. This is a neighborhood of $350,000+ homes. The front yard has 6 beds, we estimated 8 hrs of edging,and 3,224 sq. ft. of mulch,the back yard has 2,449 sq. ft. of mulching with minimal edging. The total sq. footage is 5,673 sq. ft. my figures for 3'' of mulch is 52 yds. We were thinking $60 / yd. including edging for a grand total of $3,120. I think they will have a heart attack when they get my quote. My ? to you all is what would you charge. I have not priced out mulch yet, they want double ground dark brown mulch $25.00/yd maybe. Please help me on this one.

P.S.
    What are your thoughts on getting this mulch blown in by one of those mulch trucks, by the way the back yard is only accessable by a wheel barrow or a mulch truck. What are the prices for one of those trucks to blow mulch?

Thanks a million,
    :weightlifter: Opher
    LIGHTHOUSE LAWNCARE

2. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

I get $75.00 per yard installed edging is included in that price most of the time but may not always be depending on the individual circumstances.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Rent yourself a bed edger for about 50 bucks, have it done in a couple of hours (total with geting and returning the edger). Have it blown in @ around $36 per yard, and charge 60. You made yourself about a grand in a couple of hours. Call it good and get on your way to the next job. :weightlifter:

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I have nothing to contribute in the mulching portion of the ? We just don't do mulching here in Phoenix, but the bidding part I can.

Numbers don't lie, things cost what they cost, if you have done the math right you have no choice but to give them the price you calculated using your costs and margins. Don't let your comfort levels about $$$ influence your decisions on what something should cost.

I also would not be so concerned what the house costs or what the client drives. Outline the the scope of the job give them the price and then shut up. The first person to talks looses, so to speak.

People just can't stand the silence they will say anything to make it go away, even things like "we could do it for less if"... just be quiet and wait for them to speak.

If they want a lower price ask them what tasks they want you skip, not edge all the beds? go with 1" of mulch instead of 3? Don't make it your problem, it is theirs.

5. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Concerning Edging....take a tip...If you use a rotary edger like a Brown or EZ trench do the edging first...They put a lot of dirt into the bed and it has to be taken care of. Either smoothed out or removed. If you mulch first it will put alot of dirt into your mulch.

If you us a cutting edger like a Turfco you can edge after the mulch is in. The Turfco unit just cuts the edge and leaves the dirt and debris right where you cut it so you can pick it up and move it away easily.. If they are brand new beds it is easier to edge first and mulch second..
    Turfcobob

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Well put Joe. I would definatly sub out 52 yards. Bedscapers are a wonderful machine and leave a cleaner edge than you can with a shovel. I rent them here about 3 or 4 times a year @45 bucks per day do all the properties that need it that day. If the client has ever tried to edge beds themselves you will sell that bedscaping EASY. Depending on the footage up to a buck a foot is in order I usually hit my reg maint customers at .65 cents per foot.

I wouldnt wanna be carting in all that mulch in the summer via wheelbarrow. Maybe Im just getting lazy as I get older. Work smarter not harder.

a grand for a few hours work... no labor to pay no problems to deal with it. Dont get greedy and you should lock in this job.

Definatly edge beds first. If its clean dirt just rake it back into the beds. If lot of grass and such scoop it out.

7. opher

opher LawnSite Member

This weekly account will be a good one for me,just to get my foot in that developement. I was thinking about telling the home owners that they could save alot of money if the hired the company to blow the mulch in themselves, all I need is for them to find out I made $10-15 per yard of mulch to watch them blow it in,I'm thinking if I just edge that would be the better way to go.

:weightlifter:
    OPHER