Need help pricing a lanscaping job!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jsnick83, May 31, 2008.

1. jsnick83

jsnick83 LawnSite Member

I need to give this customer a bid by the end of the Sunday. Here is what she wants a quote on.

Trimming approx. 50 bushes and shrubs. They varie in size from 2ft to 5ft tall.

Mulch all of the old beds. There is practically no old mulch left. We need 12-13 bobcat scoops to cover everything. The price on the mulch is around $400 including delivery.

Put a new edge on all of the beds as well.

4 old removals and 3 new installs.

Clean up and haul away everything.

There is going to be two of us working this job as well. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jsnick83
  2. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

1060.00 plus 400 for materials for a total of 1460.00.
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Good price, I think that's about right.

I don't know though, with all that trimming and cutting a new edge, could be a lot of labor. Might want to think about upping it a little.

It's all about where you live, cost of living, avg income, geography, ect.
  4. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

How many days do you think that the job will take?

How much do you need to make per man per day to cover your overhead, labor costs, and finally whatever profit you command?

I bid jobs by the day; 5 man crew is $1500 per day. I will occasionally bid half days as well.

Also, when bidding, remember the disposal fees, time to the dump, etc. that you may incur.
  5. maxwilbryan

maxwilbryan LawnSite Member

CA- Does that price include yourself? Are you a part of that 5 man crew? Please respond i'm having trouble understanding my worth. It is usually me and 2-3 other guys out there and I dont know how to freakin charge. HAve great knowhow, equipment-am very efficiant- I just want to be cosistant.
  6. CALandscapes

I include myself as part of that five man crew, though I'm typically not present for 100% of the job.

The inclusion of myself in the day-rate is the majority of my profit; the mojority of the rest of it goes toward labor costs and overhead.

I will occasionally price a bit lower, depending on our work load and the type of job. If it's a high dollar, visible job that I'd like to ad to my portfolio and I know that I'm bidding against other companies, I may lower the day rate to 1300ish..

It all depends on what you need to make.

I've actually done jobs and broken even, but the exposure and references have paid off ten-fold.
  7. CALandscapes

Maxwill, get to PM status and I'll PM you more info to help you better understand.
  8. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

1460$ seems pretty low to me- two guys, new material (what is it??) 12-13 yards(?) of mulch, 50 items to trim and clean-up, edging... I'd almost be there on mulch alone!
  9. maxwilbryan

maxwilbryan LawnSite Member

1400 is rediculous. Complete grinder status.

I usually try and hit a 100 an hour with me and 2 others so im not that far off. But its far enough off to have cost me a lot of money this year and been keeping me on that "grinder" level as well.thanks CA
  10. markam70

markam70 LawnSite Member
    from USA

Just wondering how you guys can come up with a price based on the original post.
    Pruning 50 shrubs..but what type? Different plants require different pruning methods.
    Edging of beds... how big are they, soil conditions, irrigation, etc?
    Removals and installs... what and what size is to be removed and then installed?
    Cleanup and disposal... how much debris will there be, travel distance to disposal site, dump fees?

My advice to you Jsnick83 would to price your materials and estimate your time. Get the job, track your costs & time, and then as you get another request for a similar job, you'll then know your productivity and costs involved so you will feel more comfortable about your estimating skills.
    Asking others advice in this situation really doesn't help you much and could turn this experience into a costly mistake