Need help pricing hedge trimming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SunriseLawn, Nov 11, 2003.

1. SunriseLawn

SunriseLawn LawnSite Member

I need the help of the experienced members on this site pricing hedge trimming separating the property line of 1 of my customers. The hedges are about 4ft high x 2ft deep x 240ft long. I have never done a long row of hedges only single bushes so I have no idea how much time it will take to trim a full 240ft length. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Eric

2. subdube

subdube LawnSite Member
    from NC

:alien: Can you take a picture of the bushes and post it here that would help us help you.

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I recently pruned a privet hedge that was 195' long. The owner wanted it taken from 5' down to 4', and from about 6' wide to around 4' wide. I charged $495 and did it in around 8hrs.

4. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

$495 for 195' i would never get that here allthough it did take you 8hrs. i would have gotten $200 to $225 but would have been done in 2 hrs. with 1 clean up guy.

the hedge separates the property are you only trimming the top,
    front, and 2 sides not the back? i dont know the prices in your area but here i would go $250 to $275 if your doing it solo it should take under 4 hrs.

5. SunriseLawn

SunriseLawn LawnSite Member

Subdube,
    Sorry I can't take a picture, I don't have a camera. Planning on getting one @ Christmas.

Grassmechanic,
    Thanks for your reply, but like wissel_landscaping I don't think that amount would fly here either.

Wissel_landscaping,
    I need to trim them on all sides because the hedges are owned by my customer, but I was thinking of pricing around the $250 figure you gave. However, how do you guys dispose of the trimmings. Just looking at the amount of trimmings I figure I will have taking 1ft off of the top and trimming the sides I think I will have close to 15-20 large garbage bags. I checked on renting a chipper but the local rental wants $120/4hrs. Any advice?

Thanks again,
    Eric

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Tell him you do things like that by the hour. Charge $60 per hour + $75 for disposal fees.

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i charged by the hour for a large trimming job this summer, $45/hr and the clippings were dumped on site in the woods.

The guy watched me like a hawk when i told him my hourly rate. I hope to get a few more trimming jobs next season and get a little better at estimating my time. Then i can get closer to my $60/hr "normal" hourly rate plus hopefully not have anyone staring me down as i work.

8. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I have a dump pile at our shop by the end of the year we have about 200 yards of debri i have a company that comes out with a huge grinder they grind it all together then i sell it as compost. you can also call your city dump here if your a resident they charge $10 to dump there. some of your landscape suppliers will also let you dump there for $10 per yard. I would rake it in a pile then onto a tarp tie it up and throw it in the bed of the truck insted of using trash bags.

9. thill

thill LawnSite Member

A light trim of top and both sides would take us 2.5 hours.... light meaning not needing to chew through massive stems....

add in clean up and hauling and dumping and we have about 5 manhours in this job.

Hope this helps.

10. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i would charge around the same here 275 to 300 really depends i would have to see them but for the lenth this is reasonable pricing.dont forget to include your time in cleaning up .good luck