Need help pricing large property

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnnyRoyale, Mar 18, 2008.

1. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

We just added a Jacobsen HR5111 to our fleet and were bidding on a large property that Im going to need some help on. I'm not familiar with the production rates these monsters are typical of, but heres the scoop on this contract; Theres approximately 80 acres to be cut and trimmed every week=26 cuts. Half of the areas areas are wide open, others can accomodate a smaller (60-72 inch machine).There are also 10 acres to be rough cut twice yearly. I think i know where I should be with the numbers, but I'm curious to know what everyone else is thinking. Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Trust me you're looking in the wrong place. Crunch your own numbers--be sure the property is a good"fit" for your schedule--find out everything you can about why this is even available for bidding..........

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

If it was around here, I would probably bid it at $30 per acre on the 80, and $45 on the 10 acres of bushhog. I run a 10', a 7 1/2' and a 6 1/2' (backup mower), and I would anticipate the 80 acres being mowed with the two bigger mowers, and with 40 acres open and 40 with some obstacles, would expect to take 10 hrs. Wow, 80 acres in one spot - that is nice. I have a 50 acre job, but it is in 11 different areas with about 120 miles of drive time, and a 40 acre job with about the same amount of drive time.

4. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

zero help to the man!

5. JohnnyRoyale

The property is available for bidding because its a government job and the contract expired last year. The property is the biggest maintenance challenge we will undertake. We have experience with sites up to 20 acres-but nothing this big. I think I know where my numbers are-just wanted a few opinions.

6. JohnnyRoyale

Wow-With those numbers, you would be extremely busy in our market. Do your numbers include trimming, and blowing of walks etc?

7. riverwalklandscaping

riverwalklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

cut it once for them at a cost that they wont refuse, then use the time it took you to come up with a number, that is if they'd be down with something like that..

8. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Every area of the country pricing will be different. My advice would be is to figure out how much man power you will need to do this in one day. Then just multiply your man hours by their rate/hr plus your equipment cost. Example 50.00/man hour, four men, 8 hours would be 32 man hours times 50.00 equals 1600.00/day. Obviously you will not be able to cut 80 acres in one day with four men but you get the picture. Eighty acres is a lot of grass to cut. Are you taken into account the whole complex when you say, "80 acres" or just the grass? Or you could just sub out flex deck to do the work and sit at the area strip joint and enjoy yourself for the day while you make a grand or two.LOL

9. JohnnyRoyale

I figure it will take a dedicated 5 man crew all week, between the beds, tree rings, fert, litter, shrubs, cutting and trimming. To answer your question-its 80 acres of turf, the entire property encompases 300 acres. Its probably the biggest property in the area. Lots of local peeler bars in the area too-i'll save my visits for the rain days.

10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Yes. Few sidewalks involved, but we have a few areas with parking lot curbing - I have a special setup that trims curbs and sidewalks as I mow my first round.