Need Help Pricing sod job

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by rockwellpropsol, Jan 24, 2012.

1. rockwellpropsol

rockwellpropsol LawnSite Member

Hey guys thanks for looking. I need a little help pricing a job i just got. Im new to sod and just wanted aroundabout price. The customer wants the yard tilled, then topsoil put down, and then laying the sod. Can someone show me a breakdown on pricing. It is about 4500 sf. Thanks guys:confused:

2. tnwildcat

tnwildcat LawnSite Member

Sounds like major overkill. If you are putting down sod just loosen up soil and lay it. I get best results killing old grass and scalping to ground level. Rent a power rake/dethatcher and tear it to pieces. Rake all access grass off of lawn. Sod will lay better on a surface that isn't overly soft or loose. Price depends greatly on how far you have to move sod. Can pallets be staged all around lawn? Three guys less than a day if you have to move it by hand. Half a day if pallets are staged. Sod goes much quicker also if its mini rolls.

3. Barrett Landscaping

Barrett Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

i would just kill, then cut out all the dead grass and then put down topsoil and then lay the sod.tilling really isnt needed

4. memphis.landscape

memphis.landscape LawnSite Member

Tilling the ground will typically cause the sod to have more weeds in it. I use a sod cutter (set on .5 in) and then just rake up the debris. you can go over it another time to loosen up the soil to rake it evenly. I typically charge $200-250 per pallet. But if your measurments are correct you are looking at upwards of 11 pallets. so I would be close to $170 a pallet +cost. You and one guy should easily be able to do that in a day.

5. Barrett Landscaping

the terrain really plays a role in pricing sod. i try and get around $1/sqft including prep work.

6. Son's Lawn Maintenance LLC

Son's Lawn Maintenance LLC LawnSite Member

We do a lot of sod installation is South Louisiana. We charge $6.50 per sq/yd thats with us doing the final grade on the site. Hope that helps. We usually get sod for $110 to 120 a pallet.

7. rockwellpropsol

rockwellpropsol LawnSite Member

Im in orlando. How much would i charge to spread 18 cy of topsoil and i have to wheelbarrow it the stuff to the back yard

8. Barrett Landscaping

figure what your overhead is (cost of material, delivery, labor expenses) then add what you want to make on it. thats alot of dirt to wheelbarrow by yourself though.

9. Son's Lawn Maintenance LLC

Son's Lawn Maintenance LLC LawnSite Member

U need to rent u a Dingo with the bucket and land level attachment. That's all we use when moving dirt and preparing the area for sod.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. tnwildcat

tnwildcat LawnSite Member

Find someone you are familiar with that has owns a bobcat or dingo. Pay them to level the soil. Watch what they are doing and ask if they will teach you to run the machine. I know how to run machines, but on some jobs I can get an operator and machine for less than I can rent a machine myself.