Need help pricing THIS job!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rppaving, Apr 7, 2013.

1. rppaving

rppaving LawnSite Member

Whats up everyone, well I just got a call from a guy who wants:

aerating, lawn rolling, and reseeding for his lawn and his parents.

the dimensions for his yard are 300ft x 200ft and his parents approximately 300 x 300, so both yards are very big and are subsequently accompanied by big houses/pools/nice landscaping

I was wondering what should i charge for each one of these, i would have to rent the aerator and lawn roller for the jobs so thats a factor as well.

thank you very much and any input is greatly appreciated!!!! :waving:
  2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Not worth it. Hire someone to do it and tack on some for you. Aerator is going to cost you at least 75 bucks for the day.The roller depends on what size and then you need a trailer to haul it .Most likely in the end if you do all that you'll make 100 bucks. Seed you could yourself at least a 100 bucks for seed.

PHCLLC LawnSite Member

No one can help you man you need to sit down and take a hard look at yourself and your business and decide if your serious about the business or your just trying to make a buck.

If you decide that landscaping/lawn care is what you wanna do with your life then you need to again sit down and do the math.

(These are just numbers as a example to give you a idea)

Truck Insurance = 50 a month
    Company Insurance = 160 a month
    Avg monthly gas/diesel = 200 a month
    Website costs = 25 a month
    Marketing costs = 300 a month
    Employee (1) wages cost 1200 a month
    Yearly truck plates cost 100
    Yearly trailer plates cost 75
    oil changes every 3,000 miles cost lets say 1,000 a year
    repairing equipment cost lets say 500 a year

Thats about 4,096 bucks a month and lets say your only open 40hrs a week so that means you need to make $25.60 a hour just to stay in business. God forbid something unexpected happen then your bankrupt.

What I am trying to say is FIGURE OUT YOUR NUMBERS or they screw you in the end.
  4. rppaving

rppaving LawnSite Member

hahaha alright dude....:laugh::laugh::laugh:
  5. magicmike

magicmike LawnSite Senior Member

Im not sure how much to rent this equipment is where you live but for 24 hours here in long island it will cost $71 for the aerator, and 20 for the roller (not sure on size). For four hours it is 14 for the roller and $51 for the aerator. So if you can knock it out in 4 hours then come back for the seeding and rolling it would be $71 for both (24 hour for the roller and 4 for the aerator). I never priced aeration before (first year in business so I cant help you in that area).

So if you can get 250-320 for the aeration at each house, add 300 pounds of seed fescues mix ($409) + labor, plus hourly rate for rolling. Maybe about 800-900 dollars per house if done correctly minus the cost of rentals 100 dollars most.

try to sell aeration to other customers. Once again I am new at the pricing so if other guys think my pricing is way out of line or way to cheap please let me know.
  6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have a small tractor? If so you can do this easily if not I would walk away.

PHCLLC LawnSite Member

I bid per 1,000sqft (because I know my numbers and my competition)

300*200 = 60,000 / 1000 = 60*3.5 = $210.00 to roll
    300*300 = 90,000 / 1000 = 90*3.5 = $315.00 to roll
  8. rppaving

rppaving LawnSite Member

I priced renting the aerator and lawn roller for the day:
    aerator: $65
    roller: $30

also is the guy above who said $800-$900 per house too cheap/too expensive?? more info is greatlyyy appreciated!!
  9. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

$1180 for seed.
    $410 for starter fert.
    $160 for rental.
    $750 for labor.
    $2500 total for me to do that job, that's a take it or leave it price for me with markups built in.
  10. magicmike

magicmike LawnSite Senior Member

sorry i didnt add labor for the seeding and rolling your going to have to estimate how long it will take you, and how many helpers you have, and mark up on the seed.