1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need help pricing

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by anthonyslawnandgarden, Dec 12, 2005.

1. anthonyslawnandgarden

anthonyslawnandgarden LawnSite Member

wats up people..i wanted to know how do you charge to install a sprinkler job? and how is it that you exactly need to do it? thanks
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Some people charge per zone, others charge per head.

Some people do a combination of per head with a set fee for Timer/Backflow and say 100' of mainline and wire.

You could also charge T&M.

If your planning on getting into the business you should probably research what the going rate in your area is and don't stray from it too much. Undercutting hurts the whole industry.
  3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Per head with seperate charges for Timer/Manifold setup if needed and per valve charge as well. Better know how long it will take you to put in a manifold, a head, a water tap, backflow, etc... so you can charge accordingly and not be giving away labor. Holland is right on with the area pricing, it varies from place to place, know what it should cost in your area.
  4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

And, you can run into some real screwy situations depending on existing plumbing. :p
  5. PurpHaze

In our area a lot of the "head guys" are a real PITA. Seems all they know how (or choose) to install are spray pop-ups in triple rows.

A common quote in our area is material + 5% (to cover bad parts) PLUS material doubled + 10% to handle unforseen labor situations.
  6. Cost of materials to you......cost of labor to you ( including yours) + Adequate markup to cover your overhead + the % of profit you want = cost of job. Who cares what everyone else is charging...if you can't do the job at the price you need to do it at to stay in business...move on to a different prospect. And accordingly...if you can do the job cheaper than others and still cover your overhead and make your target profit...then so be it.....sheesh...it aint that hard.

I bid everything the same way....fences, sprinklers, lighting, decks, whatever I'm doing gets bid in the same manner. It isn't rocket science. But, you need to know what your needs are for overhead and profit...that in and of itself can be rocket science....Good Luck
  7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Your first few install bids may lose you money. Or you may make enormous profit on it. It could go either way if you have never installed before. You might not know how long it will take to install an 8 zone system in whatever type of soil Florida has, or know how long it will take to do the plumbing and backflow installation.

By charging per head or per zone, will not get you consistent profits. 2 different 8 zone systems charged at $500 per zone will have different results. System A might take twice as much pipe, more ell and tee fittings, have 5 sidewalks to go under (which take time), backflow preventer could be an RP instead of PVB, and twice the copper, and you labor could take twice as long due to soil. System B could go smoothe as could be, and you'd be laughing all the way to the bank with the check.

My overhead is low because my office is at my house, no shop or yard, no equipment besides work trucks, minimal advertising, one employee, etc. So my rates could be lower than they are, but I want to earn a certain amount of money so I keep my rates up close to other good local companies rates, but better than the guy who does it on the weekends for extra money.

I'll admit to pricing per zone when I was doing installs years ago. Never figured or realized what I was making per job.
  8. PurpHaze

Dana... Is this why you're always jumping in and helping out Tony? Or is it that he has the equipment so you're just trying to steal it instead? :p
  9. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Obviously there are always changes made for obstacles and overages for unforseen events. My pricing per head simply takes into account all the pieces needed for one head, zone, timer setup etc...rather than listing out 1 head, 2 nipples 2 ells, 3 of this 4 feet of that and a partridge in a pear tree, do that once, at your cost, add your markup, and for every system you put in of that style, theres your price. Dont get stuck with that type of head and only put it in, no matter what the yard is like, just know your costs so you can make your money.
  10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Actually tony and I haven't helped each other out much at all. He did 3 winterizations for me, and we did one repair this summer when he was away (you better pay me soon you little *****!!!!!). :) We've offered each other help a few times, but haven't really needed it. He has no equip either. We mainly meet up for lunch. Oh yeah, and I gutted 100 fish at his pond last year when he was out of town one day!!

It's cool having someone else local that is on this site, that way we can go to lunch and b!tch about all the same kinds of things, call each other and ask advice when we're struggling on a repair call. Just talking about the problem to someone else will sometimes trigger the solution in your own head.