need help pricing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by preacher_man08, May 7, 2007.

1. preacher_man08

preacher_man08 LawnSite Member

Im new to the business...and i have already been mowing the 2 lawns by myself but now i have a partner to help me out...the 1st lawn takes me 5 hours to do the job and the 2nd lawn takes me 2 1/2 hours to do the job and it only takes about 10 minutes to weed eat the 2nd job...but now i have a partner and am starting up a business and need to know how much to price for them...need some help..

2. tinkerlawn

tinkerlawn LawnSite Member

For mowing I would just charge $30-40 (residental) per man hour, The big companies charge a flat rate of $40-50 per man hour (more on the commercial side). That would land you about $150-200 for the first lawn per cut and 75-100 for the second one. This pricing is assuming you are using commercial lawn mowers 36in, 48in etc.

The reason I added the part about the commercial lawn mowers is that they are much faster and I base all of my residental yards prices on how long it would take to cut with a 48 inch mower.

If you are cutting with a 21 inch mower, then just lower the stated prices a little bit.

3. preacher_man08

im using a 42" with the stuff that needs to look good and then he has a fenced in area that is about an acre that im goin to have my partner mow with the john deere ridin mower. the 1st lawn only takes about 45 minutes to weedeat w/ one guy...so most of the 1st lawn is on the mower. and only about 30 minutes to push mow the back yard. there is some more info. for u

4. tinkerlawn

I'd say your mowers are large enough so I would go bid those jobs for around 150 and 75 respectively. What are you charging for them now?

5. preacher_man08

well it only took me 5 hrs and 2 1/2 alone...and now i have a partner so it would cut down on the time so would that still be the right price?

6. tinkerlawn

Don't lower your price now that you are mowing with someone else, because now you have to pay them in addition to the cost of gas, usage of mowers, paying yourself and others.

Heres a quick check on your bids, Take your bid price and subtract all of your costs, gas, paying yourself and helpers, mower usage, etc. Then if you still have money left over then you are probably doing fine. If the number is negative then you need to raise your prices.