Need help putting a rope on a pull start please

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BryPaulD, Oct 29, 2005.

1. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I have a broken pull start rope. I took the thing off the machine and bought a new rope. Now all I have to do is undo a phillips screw to get into the rope spot. I know as soon as I undo that screw, that metal winder tension thingy is gonna unravel and then the process is a pain in the a$$. Any tips for this rope rewinding thing? Thanks :)

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Try holding it together with ducktape just enough for you to control the release.But no you have to take out the screw and deal with the tension thing to replace the rope.

3. BryPaulD

from MI

Thanks for the tip. I got it. I didn't undo anything. I just turned the recoil as far as it would go and held it there. Then fed the rope throught the lil slot and then the hole in the housing, then through the old hand grip thing. Then let it go and it sucked the rope right up and back into the device :) reassembled and it works great.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You don't have to wind up the spring before attaching the rope. Attach the rope then you can wind it up from inside- there is slot in the pulley to allow the spring to be wound up.

5. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

OK, in 500 words or less, your new job is to write a detailed description on how exactly to accomplish this repair job. THEN, in the future, people on this site will have the instructions, printed by you, to fall back on. Then you will be a regular Lawnsite Hero. NO, I am NOT being a Smarta**, I am serious. That way "OL RestoRob" can take a small vacation.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Jim, I feel like I was on one !!! They snuck this one right by me :laugh:
    I really am about ready for one, Been at the same shop 14 1/2 years and have taken only 1 week off 13 years ago. Guess I enjoy my work too much. :dizzy:

7. jim dailey

Not trying to hi-jack this thread, but , maybe we should call you "old rusty-rob" after that saga. LOOK - OUT, I am coming down in 3 weeks. Let me get in, past the holidays, and then I will look you up. I'll take you down to the corner hang-out for a 24-hour vacation, liquid-type. And, I don't drink !!!

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Do that Jim, But we'll have to make it a tea on the rocks, I sat my last empty down 5 years ago this month and havn't looked back. If we don't chat again before hand have a safe trip down.

Take Care

9. jim dailey

Funny thing...My last FROSTY was on May 10, 1988. Don't miss them at all, and have a lot of extra green in the pocket as a result. Got me a house, a new truck, plenty of equipment and lotsa piece of mind also. Let me get down there and get set-up, and call you after the Holidays...JIM.

10. BryPaulD

from MI

hey Guys, that's great for you. Way to go. My last was almost 2 months ago. No hang overs, more $ in pocket, and less arguing with the wife :)