1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need help putting fert plan together

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by George777, Sep 3, 2001.

1. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I need some help with putting together a fert/weed control plan. Most of my customers have Bermuda or Zoysia.

My goal for next season is to pick up 30 fert customers. I'm also wanting to add weed control in beds. I have picked up a scheduale from Lesco and have been using the fert on current customers (no weed control) with good resualts.

This is what I had in Mind
    Oct Pre- M 5-10-20
    Feb Pre- M 0-0-7
    Apr Pre- M 25-2-5
    May 34-3-8
    June 32-5-7
    Aug 32-5-7

Snapshot beds

SPot Treat

Please help out!
  2. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have had good results w/ the Lesco schedule this year.

Looks somewhat like what you have there.

My spray depends on my target.
  3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Nitrogen levels look pretty high for those summer apps...you'll be cutting 8" a week.
  4. anthony

anthony Guest

george how did you make out with this program?
  5. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

the plan has worked out well this year. I did get a tank and spray the pre-M., except for the april application. I also have been putting down iron for a good green up.
    Only problem I've seen on a few lawns was dollar spot. The guys at lesco told me it was due to the high humidity and rain we have been getting. I think next season I will go with a quicker release on my lawns that have a sprinkler sys.

most weeds are still in check but, had to treat for sedge and virginia button weed. Had no problem with hembit in the spring.

I realy don't like chems with temp now hitting 97. If I do spot treat is is in the morning are on an overcast day.

I also reached my goal of 30 fert customers and have found that most irrigation sys are not set to recieve 1" per week since advancing the times and adjusting the heads I have seen a big difference in the quality.

the guys at lesco have been a great help to me and thus far have never given me any bad advice.

I found that top choice for fire ants has failed me at one location and had to retreat free of charge.

I found msma does kick back dallis grass as long as you retreat as per the label instuctions. Corsair does well on fuscue and button weed and takes a little time before it gets it.

I cant wait until next week when I'll be taking a class on turf manegment. I got a lot of questions in my mind relating to soil.
  6. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

george, we just met with a rep from the fmc corp. the other day. he was doing some demo apps. for us with "talstar" if you want to control fire ants this IS the product to use ... we were amazed at how well it worked..