1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Help qouting 18'x22' sod cutting/rear tine/rottotilling job in michigan

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by SongBird LawnCare, Apr 24, 2008.

1. SongBird LawnCare

SongBird LawnCare LawnSite Member

alright.. i have to cut the sod out of this square that is 18' x 22'.. and then rototill it up with the rear tine piece... and i was wondering what i should charge for this job.. the grass seems pretty level and with no obvious problems.. (i.e. tree roots.. big dips in the lawn, etc)..

I have to rent the tiller and the sod cutter from home depot.. and the total on that with tax and damage waver is a couple cents below $180.. so.. I was figuring on $420 in labor.. which would include $12/hr at 10hrs for my worker.. and $300 for the day for me.. minus gas for the driving..

is this even reasonable?

I am in southeast michigan..

ANY help would be much appreciated.. i do not want to go into the job with an overinflated price.. or CERTAINLY not underbidded.. so.. any help would be much appreciated.. thank you.

:) - Jason
  2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I think your times are WAY off. This is NOT a 10 hour job by any means. I have never ran a sod cutter, but I guess in 15 minutes you could have the sod cut and your helper could have most of it in the dump truck. Then another 15 minutes or so for rotortilling I would guess, at the MOST. All together, 2 man hours MAX for the job, including BS'ing with the customer, neighbors, etc. I would charge $100 or so for labor and then 1.5 times whatever the equipment rental is (most places have a 3 hr min I think, maybe line up a couple more jobs for the machines to fill up the rest of the time).

*Edit- In my post, I assumed that you will be hauling off the sod. If so, maybe add on a little for disposal fees.
  3. SongBird LawnCare

thank you very much for the help.. i actually got a time qoute of 20 minutes by someone else today too.. lol.. i thought he was a dumb ass.. but apparently i'm the dumb ass.. lol.

I just figure i can make some money at this.. i haven't done it.. but it can't be that hard.. and i just assumed it would take a lot of time..

thank you for the help..

:) - Jason

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Once you grab ahold of that sod cutter you will never forget it. LOL Enjoy be safe and for goodness sakes HOLD ON TO IT!!!.
  5. retiredat49

retiredat49 LawnSite Member

This MUST be the funniest and the most miscalculated estimate of time to do a job that I have ever seen.

It WON"T take 10 hours to do that job, but it certainly CANNOT be done in a half hour either...lmao
  6. SongBird LawnCare

lol.. thanks..
  7. wmcrum6

wmcrum6 LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

As long as it is spring time and moisture in the ground,you can skip the sod cutter and just use a good rear tine tiller. I have been tilling new gardens for years with troybilt horse. You should be able to pulverize the sod and it ill blend into the soil mix, a good 8-10 inches.
    Recently bought a BCS America, all gear drive and did a new sod coverd area in twenty five minutes. Alot of good reviews on the large Honda rear tine tiller. What ever you rent, you should be able to do the job in an hour or less and not see anything but soil when finished.