Need help quick!! Before i fail !!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ADVANTEC LAWNS, Oct 24, 2012.

1. The Grounds Crew

The Grounds Crew LawnSite Member

If I were you I wouldn't start up again unless you seriously reevaluate your entire business.

Start by making a business plan. From there get properly licensed, bonded, and insured. Then maybe do a little bit of research. Learn about the business. Remember knowledge is power. Then do some marketing. You can start off by offering a first time special, but then raise prices from there. Walk around and talk to homeowners; be a salesman. From there you will gradually build up clientele.

There is a lot more to it, but this is a start.

2. Durabird02

Durabird02 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I agree^^

First off, how old are you? It sounds like you are young and need some business classes. What you will learn is, don't bid the jobs just to get them. Usually the ones you "lowball" to get, will end up costing you more money than they are worth, and the customer will not be happy.

3. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Check with county gov. Some places require a license, some just register your business, EIN, sales tax No., workman's comp ins, though if just you then option to get a WC waver.

Have relatives get estimates from reputable LCO's to see the prices being charge where you live. New Iberia, were in the 3rd world is that? Then figure a system of how you would figure those rates.

Determine your hourly costs now that you have had your first year of business.

As already told, I'm one of those that has a PT job. Three eve's a week and Sat. day. They let me call in sick when it snows.

Lawns done. Fall clean ups. Lime applied in the fall. Gutters cleaned in the fall. Trim trees. Prune shrubs. Trim hedges. Fall Fert. Get out there and start selling. Is it to late to sell reseeding where you are in the 3rd world?

4. Dave does lawns

Dave does lawns LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds to me like you are in an exact same position I was in my first year. Obviously I got through it though, and I wish you the best.

Step one, get a job so you keep food on the table, (especially if you have dependents)
    Step two, Have a business plan, follow it and edit as needed regularly.
    Step three, Once you have a business plan you need to evaluate your pricing. I am not sure where you are but doing 20 lawns a week for $400 is $20 per lawn.

5. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

All great advice so far in this thread. I'll put a spin on some things for ya to think about.

Sometimes you learn your greatest weaknesses and strengths and why you failed, when you fail. Here's the thing, don't let that chapter of your life stop you from your dream. Keep growing and never stop reading and learning about the business. You will make mistakes and have tough days and even tougher years, but eventually, the pieces of the puzzle will come together. Good luck to you.

6. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

Unbelievable!! I'm sorry but you have been on lawnsite since 2009 and this is the best you could come up with. No lic or insu, low balling like crazy, cash only not paying taxes probably on unemployment and then make a thread like this for help. All the you need is on LS you just have to follow the advice you get. I'm sorry this just rubs me the wrong way.

7. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

Since you are asking for advice. Go work for the man and do lawn care on the side but stop low balling.

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I thought the title was help me BEFORE I fail? Did I miss something..... ?

9. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

Sell all of your equipment and get a real job. If you have interest in this field then get a fulltime job working for another lawn company and learn from them.

Also, All_Toro_4ME provided some very good advice. However he does not mean keep being a scumbag and keep lowballing. "Keep growing and never stop reading and learning about the business". Relating that quote to your own situation would mean "Start reading and learning about the business."

10. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

A brilliant piece of advice that many have too much pride to execute. Working for another LCO is the way to go. Work for them all of next year. Save a portion of your wages for your own equipment. BTW, everyone can benefit from college courses. Some of the best ones can be found here FOR FREE: http://education-portal.com/articles/Universities_with_the_Best_Free_Online_Courses.html

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012