Need help quick!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by allison225merc, Jan 18, 2008.

1. allison225merc

allison225merc LawnSite Member

I was contacted early this morning by a maintenance manager for 5 apartment complexes. I was refered to them by the mortage company that I work for. They ask me to put an offer on the desk in the morning for all five.

Heres the run down.

93 miles one way to the location
    Apartments are within 7 to 10 mins from one another
    One is low budget the other 4 are high end, really high end.
    One has some real sloaps
    Last but not least the smallest is about 40 units and the rest are about 80 to 120 units.

Can you help with some idea on bidding?

I thinking $800.00 on the small one and between $1200 to $1400 on the others. Am I in the ball park, or in the parking lot.

Thanks for any help....
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

At a cost of 30 cents a mile just in fuel alone how do you plan on covering that 185 mile trek?
  3. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

If he only gets 10 miles to the gallon at $3,05 a gallon and travels 185.5 miles thats still only $56.42 in gas, i think he can find a tree to trim to make that back somewhere on those properties :weightlifter:
  4. allison225merc

Thanks for the come back. But the question still stands. I'm not asking you to bid for me, but let me know what you think. I've got the equipment and the manpower, but we primerarily do realestate work, now they want us to take over property managment for there complexes.

Just don't want to burn my self.
  5. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think anyone can just bid this with such little details,i mean whats my car worth??? Exactly how would you know,you dont even know what model/ year/ condition its in.
  6. allison225merc

Your right. They are asking me for alot in a short time. I went and looked at them today, and I need more time to look them over.
  7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Dont do it....

93 miles one way to the location....

how much will that cost you......
  8. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

To me, 93 miles each way is 4 hrs. roundtrip. Then add 40 minutes for the trips between them, not counting equipment load/unload. So maybe 5 hrs of daylight eaten up before you start the work. Ten gallons of gas...$32.50. Wages on the help must be paid for those non-productive 5 hrs. And 800 miles per month on the vehicles, causing more rapid wear and tear and depreciation.

Tough bid.
  9. allison225merc

Hi guys. Just walked in the door from my second meeting with the project manager for these complexes. You would not believe what he went for, now I'm really affraid. $3300
    a month per property, Initial clean up fee $2200 per unit, Mulch paid, fertilizer paid, both transported to location, and room and board between finishing properties. Cut every 10 days, 90 day contract to start, with no contest after 90 day period, with 2yr option. I haven't signed yet, he did, but I'm going to have my moms lawyer look over it tuesday.