1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Help Replacing Blade Cutter Housing, Spindle And Bearings For Exmark 0 Turn

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JABBERS, May 12, 2008.

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I'm replacing blade cutter housing either tonight or in the early AM. To get the blade spindle out of the housing all you have to do is take the key out right? The spindle doesn't need pressed out does it? I tried taking the key out with a pair of plyers with no luck. Is there a trick to that? I have the housing unbolted but if its going to take to long i'll put it back together. Thanks for any help.
  2. kayeproperties

kayeproperties LawnSite Member

I have a 52 lazer Z and just replaced the bearings the other day and if I understand that you are replacing the housing. The housings I have seen come with new bearings so you are just trying to get the shaft right? Mine came loose after the top bolt was unbolted and removed. I had left the blade attached just in case i had to wiggle it a little bit it dropped right out. Easy job. No press needed. Good luck.
  3. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a pair of side cutters grab the end of the key and pry the side cutters against the shaft to remove it.

from Ohio

Thanks guys I have about an hour to get it fixed. I'll let you know how it goes.
  5. Dichotomy

Dichotomy LawnSite Member

I've got to do this too...

So how'd it turn out? Did you get the spindle shaft out of the cutter assy or did you run out of time?

from Ohio

Everything went well. The only problem I had was number 55 and 54 from above diagram. My hub cam with a one piece combination of number 55 and 54. I didn't have time to get the bottom one closest to the blade off. I think you have to unscrew the bottom of the spindle. So I just left the old one on there.
  7. Dichotomy

Dichotomy LawnSite Member

Cool. Glad it went well. Yeah, that picture was meant for general reference. Not surprised there were minor differences.

I'm wrestling with the *%#%$* pulleys on top of mine. One of them came off clean but the other two are really putting up a fight. Remember that note in the manual about putting anti-seize on the spindle shaft where the pulley mounts???? :)
  8. purplepalm

purplepalm LawnSite Member
    from palm,pa

Whenever you have problems separating metal parts, it pays to douse them
    LIBERALLY with something like PB Blaster or Kroil. Let it sit overnight and then try again in the morning after reapplying PB. THis stuff works far better than
    WD 40. Try it. What have you got to lose ? Whenever I have to remove shock bolts or springs or whatever on my Jeep, PB breaks thru years of mud and rust. It sells just about anywhere