need help resurrecting a Dixie Chopper XW2500

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by firemanmsmith, Feb 13, 2006.

1. firemanmsmith

firemanmsmith LawnSite Member

I have just purchased a 98 XW2500 with a 25 kohler and 60" deck for $500. It has been sitting for a few years, and I know it is going to take some time and $$$ to get it back in shape. I know nothing about these mowers, and I will take any advice given. I checked the compression and it is a little low so a rebuild is probably in the near future. I am unsure about the fluids to run and how to drain and flush the old oils. The deck is solid and straight, and the wheel motors were rebuilt not long before it was parked. I think I can bring it back to life and have a good mower at a good price. Any thoughts or advice?

2. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Here is how you do it: 1. send me your address. 2. Chain it to the tree out front. 3. Let me know when you ARE NOT going to be home....REALLY...get the manuals for both the machine and the engine. Find your nearest Dixie dealer and make a stop on a slow day. Maybe talk with some of the mechanics. Look online for parts and get a feel for their average price. Make sure that you have all of the tools that you will need. Ask questions here and team up with someone like Restorob. He is usually more than willing to help out. You will find that just owning the thing will bring you into contact with others who have one. Stick with it and see it through 'til the end. And have fun doing it.

3. firemanmsmith

Thanks for the reply. I am not real fond of my local dealer. I had some bad experiences with them servicing ATV's a while back. I am a fulltime Firefighter, so I am not looking to go into business big time or anything. I will have 3 or 4 lawns to take care of. I just ran across this thing the other day and thought I might come out good on it.

4. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Better yet, put it into the back of your truck, drive it down to Daytona Beach, and I will take you out on the town for Bike Week. Sorry if it is NOT in the truck when you are driving home. Take your time with it, learn alot along the way, and you will enjoy yourself.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The WX2500 is listed as a Deluxe Commercial unit so I would say you got a super deal. As for the hydro. system I would suggest changing the oil and filters and use a quality brand 20-50w engine oil and the part # on the hydro filters is 68140. There is a drain plug on the lower right hand side of the tank for draining. Change the oil once more after about 20 hrs. to remove all the old oil that was trapped in the pumps and wheel motors. You can go here ;
    http://www.dixiechopper.com/support.php and down-load manuals and watch a maintenance video.
    As for the engine you will need to clean and flush the whole fuel system and possibly replace some fuel lines, Remove the carb. clean and install a rebuild kit, Change oil and filter also using a quality 10-30w oil and the Kohler filter part # is 12 050 01-S.

Good luck with your new toy.

Oh, Welcome to Lawnsite.....

6. rander

rander LawnSite Member

You can down load the Owners Manual and Parts list for your mower model from the Dixie Chopper website. Most of the information you need on maintainence, fluids, specs and parts. They don't specifically list a 1998 series but you should be able to find your model either on the '97 or '99 list.

Link < http://www.dixiechopper.com/support.php >.

7. Restrorob

Did you read post #5....:eek:

8. firemanmsmith

Thanks for the info. I will try to post some before and after pics if I get a chance. What is the best polish for the stainless? I am planning on taking off the decals and cleaning it up.

9. Restrorob

I use EAGLE ONE Never-Dull Wadding Polish, It comes in a small silver can with white writing. Pull a small piece off and rub the surface then buff with a soft cloth.

10. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... We look forward to your future before and after pics. Try to use this same thread :).

Good luck