Need help reviving my lawn, please look

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by arctanx, Jun 27, 2008.

1. arctanx

arctanx LawnSite Member

Hi all. A friend of mine told me about this site. Well...we moved in to our house about a year ago, and the yard was in bad shape. I've managed to keep it mowed and watered (we have no irrigation system, I'm just dragging out the hoses). It seems to be getting better, but I have some really bad spots, and I need to "thicken" it up. I've sent off for a soil test, I should get it back in a few days, and I've been reading alot on the Internet. But now I'd like to get some pros' opinions. Take a look at the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The green lawn in this pic is my neighbor's lawn, mine is the one with the bare spots:

[​IMG]

I just want a decent lawn. What do you all think? What should my steps be in reviving this and filling in the bare spots. My main limiting factor is cost, as I don't have much of a budget for this. But I have lots of time and work ethic, so if someone can guide me, I can get started. Also, I'm in central FL if that helps. Thanks.

2. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

wwhat city in Central Fl?

3. arctanx

arctanx LawnSite Member

In Orlando.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

compost does a soil good! Add a lot of compost.

5. Newt*

Newt* LawnSite Member

Hi Arctanx,

Your soil appears to be very sandy. I agree with Kiril that adding lots of compost to the soil will help add nutrients, improve the textue of your soil and aid in water retention. If you want to expand the grass you currently have growing or use what your neighbor has (if it's different then yours), you will need to id what type it is.

Do you know what type of grass you have and do you want to cultivate that? We can go from there.

Newt

6. arctanx

arctanx LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help all.

I've been told that I have a mix of grass, but that it's mostly Bahiagrass.

I believe my neighbor has St. Augustine, but I'm not 100% sure.

Now when you're saying compost, something like Black Kow from Lowes? And should I use a spreader for that?

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Look around for bulk distributor, you need way more compost than your will ever want to buy at a big box.

8. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

You sure that is Bahia?It hates shade.

Florida is nothing but sand.

It will hard to get the grass too regenerate and take over that much area.
    If it is St Augustine you can cut small patches of the good grass and move too the bare spots and allow it too repair the bare areas.

Fertilizer?

Soil analysis?

As the others stated Soil amending will help as well.

9. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

No kidding !

I'm not even a 'warm season grass' person, and the need for quite a bit of volume of compost, is very evident in the pics.

Go get your pickup truck and go out to a FL state certified composting station, & pick up a few yards of nice finished compost ( not 'fresh manure' from some stable :cry:). Or have it delivered if you don't have a pickup.

All you will need is a wheelbarrow, a pitchfork, and a sturdy leaf rake, to spread it around.

Maybe incorporate it a little by double-aerating 1st or something...(I dunno the best procedures for the different climate / soil types in FL :confused:)
    But mixing compost with the soil can give you a decent chance to give any seed you might want to throw down, a good fighting chance, because of increased % of seed-to soil contact, which has to be the # 1 goal of any renovation / new seeding job.

Figure 1 yard per 1000 sq ft, to do it right.
    Save a little for the flowers and veggie garden, too.
    :waving:

10. Newt*

Newt* LawnSite Member